• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Nova lox

Interesting. I didn't even know that was a thing. :thumb:
I've been working on it for several years. You need to keep the smoke at or below 70 deg F - real hard to do in Georgia.

Traditional curing of pork was a cold smoking process, which is why the hams and bacon would last forever with no refrigeration.

I have a smoker built from a propane tank. I can do it by filling a hotel pan with ice, putting it under what I want to smoke, and build a small charcoal fire at the other end. I have smoked cheese doing that, but I still have to be careful, because on a sunny day in the winter, the black tank can heat up from the sun enough to raise the temp.

I've been working on it for several years. You need to keep the smoke at or below 70 deg F - real hard to do in Georgia.

20221113_142118.jpg

34F. What do I win? To be honest, it did get into high 40s during the day, following ambient temps.

Traditional curing of pork was a cold smoking process, which is why the hams and bacon would last forever with no refrigeration.

I have a smoker built from a propane tank. I can do it by filling a hotel pan with ice, putting it under what I want to smoke, and build a small charcoal fire at the other end. I have smoked cheese doing that, but I still have to be careful, because on a sunny day in the winter, the black tank can heat up from the sun enough to raise the temp.

I used to do it as well but dealing with ice is annoying and big smokers aren't really meant to sustain a small fire. You may want to consider buying/building an external smoke generator to keep the heat away.

My buddy has one of these and says it generates very little heat plus the chips last a long time. If your smoker is large, perhaps this won't raise temps too much.

51t87UucFFL._AC_.jpg

View attachment 5291430

34F. What do I win? To be honest, it did get into high 40s during the day, following ambient temps.

I used to do it as well but dealing with ice is annoying and big smokers aren't really meant to sustain a small fire. You may want to consider buying/building an external smoke generator to keep the heat away.

My buddy has one of these and says it generates very little heat plus the chips last a long time. If your smoker is large, perhaps this won't raise temps too much.

51t87UucFFL._AC_.jpg
Nice. Good use of a wine cooler. Now you got me thinking about buying one just for cold smoking.

Nice. Good use of a wine cooler. Now you got me thinking about buying one just for cold smoking.

This cooler was dead due to a busted refrigerant line at the compressor. I removed the compressor, coil and refrigerant lines but left the power supply and reoriented the fans. These wine coolers don't last very long and oftentimes you can find clean, non-working units for free or close to it. Also used some copper pipe and clear tubing scraps to bring the smoke in. My only cost was an aquarium pump and wire shelves. Less than $20 in the entire setup.

That looks great. The Scotts got nothing on Mrs. 8. She smokes 10bls at a time in her big green egg and I eat it every day. She does some type of a compression salt brine. I’m a spoilt ass !

5961D89A-3C4A-4686-8424-0F65445AC187.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom