• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Off to the gunsmith I go :(

loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
I went and shot my rifles the other day and notice my 338 point of zero had changed. So I got to thinking about it today and decided to look at the rifle and check the rings to make sure they were still tight. So when I check them the rear talley ring is loose. So I figure I will take off the scope and put more thread locker on the screws. Well when I go to remove the screw it is free spinning and not coming out. Turns out the screw was broken. So I soak it in Kroil and drill enough of to use a broken screw extractor. Well that went to hell in a hand basket be abuse the extractor broke off in the screw which is completely inside the reciever. So now I guess I get to go spend some money getting it fixed and hope he doesn't have to enlarge the hole when he is finished. Damn some days!!

Those hard kickers can be very hard on parts and accessories. The larger (heavier) the scope the more the recoil exerts the shearing forces.I had a RUM shear off a base screw much as you describe. It stinks that you now have a screw extractor in the hole cause that's probably gonna be some very hard material to work with.
Good luck

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom