• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Official ODT Silver Thread

Anyone know what 1964 Kennedy halves are going for nowadays?
this is a pretty handy reference page to establish silver value calculated at spot price for the silver content of coins. Premiums on silver coinage makes it possible to sell them for an amount greater than what is listed but it is a good starting place for a buyer to begin negotiations.

Check eBay. Not in the regular auctions. Go on the home page, find the deals section (might be easier on an actual computer) look for the coins and metals area. A lot of times you’ll find Apmex and the bigger companies selling on there and prices are lower than what they charge on their own sites. It must be volume driven as they sell tons on there. It shows how many they’ve sold. The price moves with the market like their sites. Here is one example I just looked at now. May or may not be a good price, I just looked as an example.

10- 1 oz apmex bars.
Apmex with a credit card- $32.60 each
Apmex on eBay- $31.01

Attachments

• 1BEE9C50-CCF3-4A2C-A979-F1C5CF039C6E.png
    1BEE9C50-CCF3-4A2C-A979-F1C5CF039C6E.png
    143.1 KB · Views: 5
  • A23FDF44-2E99-481D-85A1-3E814BDBE063.png
    A23FDF44-2E99-481D-85A1-3E814BDBE063.png
    382.4 KB · Views: 5
This may have been asked before; but there are 8700 posts to comb thru. How much physical silver would you recommend holding and in what sizes, rounds, 5oz, 10oz? Somewhat new to this and inquiring minds want to know.

This may have been asked before; but there are 8700 posts to comb thru. How much physical silver would you recommend holding and in what sizes, rounds, 5oz, 10oz? Somewhat new to this and inquiring minds want to know.

I am no expert and just recently started myself.

I think before anyone can answer your question is to know why it is you want to buy something that has to go WAY up in value before you can get your money back out of it in the first place?

Premiums are crazy right now...

If it's end of the world stuff you're prepping for - I'd go for silver dimes, and silver in small amounts vs kilo bars. Assuming that this would be used for barter after the collapse of the dollar.

If you're just using it to hedge against inflation with the hopes it will go up in value, I've heard the term "silver is silver", meaning if you like paying more for the same amount of silver in the form of a coin, then by all means go in that direction. I know nothing about coin collecting but if I buy one ounce rounds I buy the cheapest I can find.

I also like 10oz silver bars.

The lowest premiums are on the big bars. Like 100oz or kilo sized bars.

My guess is that my boys will be splitting it up after I pass. I doubt I'll ever sell but who knows? If it goes way up in value maybe I'll trade for guns or ammo?

As to how much to invest - how much are you willing to lose? Not that it would ever go to zero, but you can't eat it and you can't shoot it (I guess you could mold boolits out of it).

So far I've been buying from Bullion Exchanges. They are slow but Fedex has delivered each order in full.

You can also use this search site:

I hope others chime in because as I said I'm a newb and am open to other/differing opinions.

Oh, and for my side of the family Christmas gifts I got each a gram of gold and a 1oz silver coin. Probably go over like a turd in a punch bowl but maybe they will appreciate it?

Good luck as you start your journey!

Tommy, thanks for the input.
Looking at long-term holding for a future date. I have a little; but don't really know what is a good balance to have. People with no silver will say I have a lot and people with silver will say I'm just getting started and need more. Just trying to diversify a little since stock market is a crap shoot right now.

Tommy, thanks for the input.
Looking at long-term holding for a future date. I have a little; but don't really know what is a good balance to have. People with no silver will say I have a lot and people with silver will say I'm just getting started and need more. Just trying to diversify a little since stock market is a crap shoot right now.

I thought again and another technique is to buy a little every month, kinda like the way your 401k (or what's left of it) works on dollar cost averaging over time.

Have you invested in I-bonds? Another safe investment are T-bills. But all that stuff's electronic money and could evaporate at the first solar flare/nuke/etc.

I have everything from 1/2oz rounds to kilo bars.
the smaller the piece the higher the premium,America Silver Eagles premiums are just to high right now for me to justify buying them.
i personally like 10oz bars.
how much to keep on hand that’s debatable but don’t keep it all in one spot if you keep it at home,mine is in several different “go bags”.
I won’t say how much I have on hand but i keep 100-1 silver to gold,my own personal savings account.
that being said keep as much on hand as you have in your savings account or checking account as a minimum think of it as backing up your own bank account with your own insurance.
remember this is not an investment but a way of backing your held currency.

Back
Top Bottom