• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Oil pan gasket leak

Matt VanDivner

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
24   0
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Mazda 5 and I was told I couldn’t get an oil change because the oil pan gasket was leaking. I’m not mechanically adept at all. They have quoted me everywhere from 400$ to 2000$ I don’t get paid until next Thursday. I just need some advice on how serious it is and what I need to do. I’ve read all kinds of stuff from it being fine for a while as long as I keep oil in it and that it will literally catch on fire. I’m taking all of my live ammunition out just in case lol.

I’d recommend you take it to an actual mechanic shop to review before anything.

I usually change my own oil but it was too hot and raining so I took it to Grease Monkey. They told me I had to replace lifters… it was the power steering pump and I did it myself for $100 not the $600 at a shop

I have a 2009 Mazda 5 and I was told I couldn’t get an oil change because the oil pan gasket was leaking. I’m not mechanically adept at all. They have quoted me everywhere from 400$ to 2000$ I don’t get paid until next Thursday. I just need some advice on how serious it is and what I need to do. I’ve read all kinds of stuff from it being fine for a while as long as I keep oil in it and that it will literally catch on fire. I’m taking all of my live ammunition out just in case lol.
The oil pan has got to be the easiest part of a vehicle to remove since they are usually fully exposed which would make putting a new gasket on it simple enough.

I imagine if you aren't a do it yourselfer then it'd cost about 150 dollars for someone else to do.

I’d recommend you take it to an actual mechanic shop to review before anything.

I usually change my own oil but it was too hot and raining so I took it to Grease Monkey. They told me I had to replace lifters… it was the power steering pump and I did it myself for $100 not the $600 at a shop
So I actually went to grease monkey and they said it was leaking too bad to change it.

What others have said. They're full of it. Do what Biker13 recommended and see how it goes.

I started doing my own work (especially oil changes) when (about 2001) some 19 year old robo momo at one of the "lube places" came into the waiting room carrying my brand new K&N air filter to show me how dirty it was and how it needed replacing and they just so happened to have a new filter for $21.00.

I went ballistic. First because I told the ****ing moron to NOT touch the air filter housing (they always break something) and second because of the down right fraud. I mean the K&N filter is washable and reusable but also because I'd literally put the damned thing in myself only two days before.

Back
Top Bottom