• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

OK my turn to show off the Garands and hopefully learn something along the way

Nate

Default rank 5000+ posts
GET TO DA CHOPPA!
286   0
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just got my 2 beautiful packages from the CMP. It was like Christmas. I had to go home at lunch just to fondle them.

Let me begin by saying that I mainly only know 4 things about Garands.
1) They are a blast to shoot
2) I can strip and clean them
3) Springers with less than 3,5xx,xxx serial number are WWII production.
4) I love them!!!!

For some reason I am just drawn to them. Love the history, love some 30-06, love the feel.

I am a rare bird in that I am a gun guy and an engineer yet somehow I realize I don't know everything. Must be because I didn't go to GT;)

One day I will study them in detail but for now any information yall can provide is great.

So here is my collection of Garands.
IMG_1098.JPG

From top to bottom
1) 7,xxx,xxx serial # Springfield with a crappy looking scope mount that is tapped into the top of the receiver.
Scope mount looks like crap. What do yall think?
IMG_1099.JPG

2) 6 digit serial # Springfield. Some honest wear and a stock with character and the following markings

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

3) 5,xxx,xxx serail # Springfield. My favorite of the group. Stock has so much character
IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

4 and 5) these are my two new CMP purchases. both are 2,xxx,xxx serial number guns. one with new wood
ME =1
TE = 2 and 2+

#5 has the new wood. How should I finish it to give it an authentic look?

The proper finish is tung oil. The real stuff, not the fast dry stuff sold in local stores. Realmilkpaint.com sells real tung oil.

The proper finish is tung oil. The real stuff, not the fast dry stuff sold in local stores. Realmilkpaint.com sells real tung oil.

Thanks, i may have to give it some bumps and bruises first. It is way too clean now, just seems wrong. Should i give it some character before or after i stain it?

Thats a nice family you have there Nate, I like the 6-digit SA models myself. There's something about shooting a Garand that's like no other...not sure i can describe it with words but it's true. Its fun to break 'em down and clean too...grease in some spots and oil in others.

Edit: i also prefer the more used, "been there done that" examples over the special grades where everything looks so pristine and new.

Back
Top Bottom