• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

ok reloading fans and experts...

richs

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
40   0
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Lee Loadmaster press with a bunch of goodies. I set it up, realized to load other rounds beside 9mm, I needed a few additions. First think I did was read up on it and watched a few YouTube videos, then started reloading on it. All my brass is fully processed before reloading, and since I had a large pile of 9mm sells to be deprimed and cleaned, I set that to task with the Lee. After breaking a depriming pin (easily replaced from my .40 dies) and many miss-aligned shells, I decided to watch a bunch more videos and went out and purchased a deprimer die and a few other parts to make lifer easier.
I managed to work through 150 rounds of 9mm with as much effort as my older Lyman press, and decided to watch a bunch more videos. I realized it wasn't "tuned" after breaking another depriming pin, and set to "tuning" it acording to the instructions. What I then realized, I was using the wrong shell feeder for the 9mm since I couldn't get the .223 shells to feed to save my life. In the process, SEVERAL other parts for the shell feeding broke.
I looked to Lee's web side, found their parts ordering page and ordered about $45 worth of replacement parts. When I checked the cart, not one of the parts listed with a price, so I assumed they weren't in stock. On reading the "fine" print, I discovered these are "maintenance" parts and are no charge, just pay shipping. So I after 3 separate parts orders (for a total of $25 in shipping) I had replaced nearly every breakable part and had spares in the process.
It began to behave, so I bought a Pro Disk powder dispenser, and I was able to load 100 rounds of .223 without any problems except the occasional shell falling off the feed bar.
It was still "clunky" when indexing so back to YouTube to find a solution.
After a thorough cleaning and fiddling with the indexer, shell holder plates and primer systems, the damn thing worked smooth as melted butter... until I tried to reload more 9mm...
3 rounds fed perfectly, then a hangup... 2 more rounds were fine, the the indexer jammed...
I got pissed... nearly went full HULK on it with a 5lb sledge...
Broke it down completely... played with the indexers... BENT one (the plastic head), threw one indexer into the woods outside my basement door (remember I had spares)... tore it down COMPLETELY and now that's how she sits...
I went back to Lees's site and ordered 3 more indexers and the "carrier" that holds everything after I noticed where it meet the ram was worn smooth and unable to hold it's position.
So here I sit, broken hearted, paid my shipping and completely parted...

I use a Hornady so can't offer specific help on the lee, but everything has to be the correct die, holder, etc and set correctly to function on this type of press or it goes downhill fast.

I know some will simply dedicate a press to a specific round and buy another for a different round rather than reset everything.

I'm tied up for the next week or so but would be glad to take a look.

HANG IN THERE ! RELOADING IS BEST THEROPY THERE IS FOR ME WHEN IM READY TO CHOKE CRAP OUT OF SOME IDIOT IVE HAD TO DEAL WITH AT WORK ! I GO OUT TO LOADING BUILDING NO RADIO OR ANY DISTRACTIONS AND CAN LOAD AWAY MY CARES AND TROUBLE. NEVER USED LEE LOADER MIGHT GIVE THEM CALL AND ASK CUSTOMER SERVICE IF YOU DONT FIND CURE . ALSO IF YOU DONT HAVE MANUEL GET ONE AND CHECK TROUBLESHOOTING SECTION IF IT HAS ONE. I HAVE SOME LEE DIES AND THEY ARE TOP QUALITY AND IM SURE THEIR OTHER PRODUCTS ARE AS WELL. GOOD LUCK!

I think my biggest issue was assuming the press was 100% usable, but since I purchased it 2nd hand, I should have known better. I have no issue with the guy I bought it from, most of the problems have been from inexperience with that press. I'm hopeful the newest batch of parts should help get the press back up and running.

I see your problem you only loaded 150 rounds of 9mm.. what after getting it to work perfectly are you crazy what are you going to do with that ..spend 15 minutes at the range...No no no no you reload 9mm by the thousand fill some ammo cans make enough so you won't be reloading them for a year or two.... Then change the press set up and do the same with 223 and so on ..,...

I see your problem you only loaded 150 rounds of 9mm.. what after getting it to work perfectly are you crazy what are you going to do with that ..spend 15 minutes at the range...No no no no you reload 9mm by the thousand fill some ammo cans make enough so you won't be reloading them for a year or two.... Then change the press set up and do the same with 223 and so on ..,...
Sometimes I identify time as "the year I loaded .45 ACP" or such.

I did a small batch to make sure it was loading the rounds correctly... plus the fact I ran out of powder...

The Lee loadmaster seems to have a cult following, some guys just love it and swear by it though they have to use workarounds like priming by hand or on another press. Others hate it. I've been reloading for quite a while and went over to a buddys house to set up his new loadmaster. 4 hrs later and we were still having problems, the primer feed just didn't work and it wasn't indexed correctly from the factory. By the time I left, we had googled and learned about the primer feed fixes and got the thing correctly indexed. Seems you need to order aftermarket parts for the primer feed fix. You sound like you're determined to learn the machine and make it work so you probably will. I wouldn't wish one on a friend though.

Please tell me what aftermarket parts you used, and where did you find them. I gave up using the primer for rifle rounds, it works better for pistol. I biggest issue is the indexing sux...

Back
Top Bottom