• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Old Hickory knives

Cadcom

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
506   0
Reaction score
My grandad always used these things when cleaning fish or cooking stew/bbq. He sharpened them on an old piece of mill stone He kept out back by his shed. I finally got around to ordering a set today. Made in America carbon blades that are prone to rust but can't be beat for sharpening and taking an edge. Anyone else remember these or use them now?

Screenshot_20190512-183658.png

Walmart keeps them in stock, very inexpensive.

A carbon steel blade is way superior to a SS blade in taking a good working edge. I always use one when butchering a hog.

Ontario Knife Co. also made knives and bayonets for the US Govt., they are a real knife maker.

Walmart keeps them in stock, very inexpensive.

A carbon steel blade is way superior to a SS blade in taking a good working edge. I always use one when butchering a hog.

Ontario Knife Co. also made knives and bayonets for the US Govt., they are a real knife maker.

I didn't know they carried them. I'd have picked one up a long time ago. I have one of their bayonets.

Back in Virginia the herring would run upriver to the fresh water to spawn every year, and we'd catch hundreds or thousands of them to preserve, can, filet, or pack in salt and black molasses for the winter. It would take us almost a full day to clean all those fish after each trip.

I remember that set of Old Hickory knives Pop would pull out just for the occasion....man he kept those things sharp. We used to search for 'em cheap at flea markets and get Pop to put an edge on them for us

They would give you the old boning knives at the chicken processors, they were wore thin but were great filet knives.And as kids free was a bonus

Back
Top Bottom