• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Old Traditional Thanksgiving Hunts

Yes sir! I remember as a 5-6 year old in the mid 70’ Upson County Club any deer brought in was a big deal. If it was a big buck guys would come from the other clubs to look. Everyone bunked in one room shack no electricity or plumbing. The cook shack was a stick shed with left over whatever nailed to it. Most everyone hunted with a 742 Woodmaster Carbine/06’/220gr Core Locks/see through scope mounts/Redfield tv screen scope. Flannel/Surplus/Jeans/itchy long John’s/terrible boots. Ahhhh the good old days.
😂😂😂😂👍
Here is one of them 70 special set ups sitting in the corner of my gun room.it was my uncle’s
6ADBFF9C-C66E-4122-8C8F-3B3C000AA370.jpeg

Just a post thought… Do you think we see more deer now because of

1. Less Hunters/Lower Hunting pressure?
2. Better QDM
3. Better Land Management
4. Tacos?
One hellava lot more deer

According to WRD deer data, there were an estimated 198,000 deer in the 1970-71 season. Today, we've got an estimated 1.2 million deer.

Only squirrels were available in numbers to hunt on my grandfather's 360 acres in the late 50's and early 60's. I was blessed to go once with my grandfather, once with an uncle and once with my Father. All other times it was just nature and me. I was taught proper firearm handling and safety using a Remington 510 single shot, then was allowed to progress to a Remington 550 semi auto. I have possession of both. Thanks.

I used get off work and drive 9 hours overnight to take the kids back home for Thanksgiving. Too tired to go squirrel hunting with my brothers but I almost always shot more than they did. I’d take a nap for a couple hours and then slip off to the woods by myself…..I’d usually get the daily limit of 6 in an hour or so and I’d be cleaning them when my brothers came out of the woods. They were just too noisy when they hunted together
🤫

We all stayed in campers in the middle of the woods next to an old home place that had a still standing blacksmith building. All the men and boys out morning hunting while the women cooked thanksgiving meal. We all ate in the blacksmith building together. 15-20 usually. Even with only seeing a couple deer a year, what I would not give to have those days back !!!!

Back
Top Bottom