• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Omaha beach today, Pointe du Hoc............

June 6th 1944: US Army Rangers scale the cliffs at Pointe du Hoc......

6997D110-C1A6-4434-9493-1C70ED017755.png

About eight years ago one of the physicians I knew in Rabun county told us this great story:

He had a new patient show up and during the initial office visit the Doc learned that this guy, let's just call him "Joe", had been involved in the landings on D-Day (obviously Joe was in his late 80s or early 90s). The Doc asked Joe what his job was on D-Day and, with that dichotomy of humbleness and pride, Joe stated that he was one of the Rangers that stormed Pointe du Hoc.

The doc told Joe he'd be right back and then left the room. He returned a moment later with another elderly gentleman.

"Joe," said the doc, "meet Franz (or Hans, but a very German name). Franz was one of the guys shooting down at you at Pointe du Hoc."

After remarking that they were both glad that the other had been a "bad shot", the two old soldiers became great friends.

I can't attest to the veracity of the entire story, but I have met many a man in NE Georgia, both German and American (and, believe it or not, one Frenchman) who served (or claimed to have served) in WW2. Most are very humble and only talk about it when you ask.

Back
Top Bottom