• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Once fired brass?

jbales

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
16   0
Reaction score
If this seems insensitive, I don't mean for it to be, I'm more curious to hear if you share the same concerns.

It seems that Bigfoot has been spotted more times than than a "twice fired" brass for sale classified listing. Most ads are for "once fired" and some even say "range pickup" and once fired in the same sentence. I will admit, I'm new to reloading so I don't claim to be an expert on brass or anything of the sort but how can one possibly know that range pickup brass is once-fired unless you pickup what came from your weapon or you watched dude-buddy next to you crack open new ammo shoot it and leave the cases behind when he left?

I'm not doubting anyone's integrity, so don't take it like that but how many out there carry around a mic to check wall thickness of brass in your back pocket? I use what I fire or new brass. Too OCD? Missing out on all the "deals" out there, maybe. I was just curious if I was the only one that had never seen an ad on here or other boards for "twice fired" brass.

HAHA! Yea not too many people sell Twice fired brass. I have bought brass before that was "once fired", one piece in the bunble was so damaged that the side was corroded off. About the only time you can know for sure is on military rifle brass. If it still has the crimp then it probably has not been reloaded. Just like jaybees said just make sure you inspect each piece for any malformation that would not be taken out by sizer die, or on pistol the mouth expander die. Also, handpriming can tell you a lot about a piece of brass. If the primer goes in too easy then you might want to look into crunching and chunking it before you have a blowout. Inspection is the key.

Unfortunately "once-fired" is an industry accepted term meaning any brass that is not brand new. It is one of my pet peeves that many commercial sellers as well as individuals sell all used brass regardless of multiple loadings as once fired. I did a quick google search of the term and found only one company that gave a this description of the term.

"Once Fired Brass" is an industry term that described used brass cases. We do not guarantee that all brass cases have only been fired once.

Enough said.

Usually, 1x fired brass has a gold colored primer and upon removal some have a truncated primer in the brass itself, however not always.

Silver colored primers are 2x > fired brass........

Inspect it, load it. Once or twice will not make much difference to most. On straight wall pistol cases I load them until they split, crack or will not hold properly. I've had some cases go through numerous reloads, others wouldn't even be reloadable after one firing. Amerc brass is the worst I've ran across. Remington Umc seems to lose it retention at the neck the fastest in my experience.

I use what I fire or new brass.

I dont know how your range is but at mine I end up getting brass that I know I didn't shoot so even if you are aiming to pick up what you just shot its a small chance you could be picking up brass from a stall or two down that has been previously reloaded. I wouldn't stress too much. Just double check which you should be doing anyways.

Back
Top Bottom