• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Once fired brass?

my .02 cents are, I have new black talon ammo and other brands of ammo esp. nickel case ammo and they always have nickel plated primers. I have ammo that is new with brass colored primers. I do a fair amount of reloading about 1,000 1,500 rds. a week anything from 9mm to .50bmg and I use brass colored and nickel plated primers so you cannot go by that no matter what. I also have some brass that I bought that was listed as new ,it had a crimped primer and it was all LC. I consider it still USED because of the fact that it was Loaded ammo that was pulled down. Yes I know it wasn't fired but some of the brass had dents ,the mouth crushed etc. so everything is relative. I will shoot brass until the primer pocket is loose or damaged or the case is cracked or bulged bad. the thing I guess I am trying to say is don't take anyone's word for anything. Inspect the brass yourself each and every piece if it has even a hint of something being just a little bit questionable smash it. It is not worth getting hurt over or hurting someone else over.

something else to consider, after I have fired my 308 brass 4 times through the M14 I don't keep it. I try to gather it and throw it away but I'm sure I miss some, and have seen people digging through the trash cans at the range for brass. Always check range pick up brass since the guy before you may have left it behind because it was beyond its serviceable life

something else to consider, after I have fired my 308 brass 4 times through the M14 I don't keep it. I try to gather it and throw it away but I'm sure I miss some, and have seen people digging through the trash cans at the range for brass. Always check range pick up brass since the guy before you may have left it behind because it was beyond its serviceable life

THIS ^^^^!

Inspect ALL brass prior to reloading ... even once-fired!
This is a rule that has been published since the early days of reloading, and still stands today (maybe more important today, than ever before)!
There are some people out there pushing loads to the very edge of safety (which will vastly shorten the life of brass).

Some of us will deliberately hand-prime our brass so as to easily detect oversized primer pockets (which are a sign of many firings / overpressure use).

Heap upon me all the abuse you care, but bottom-line: Paranoia isn't a bad attribute to have when reloading!

my .02 cents are, I have new black talon ammo and other brands of ammo esp. nickel case ammo and they always have nickel plated primers. I have ammo that is new with brass colored primers. I do a fair amount of reloading about 1,000 1,500 rds. a week anything from 9mm to .50bmg and I use brass colored and nickel plated primers so you cannot go by that no matter what. I also have some brass that I bought that was listed as new ,it had a crimped primer and it was all LC. I consider it still USED because of the fact that it was Loaded ammo that was pulled down. Yes I know it wasn't fired but some of the brass had dents ,the mouth crushed etc. so everything is relative. I will shoot brass until the primer pocket is loose or damaged or the case is cracked or bulged bad. the thing I guess I am trying to say is don't take anyone's word for anything. Inspect the brass yourself each and every piece if it has even a hint of something being just a little bit questionable smash it. It is not worth getting hurt over or hurting someone else over.

Can you please list the brand and stuff on the brass colored primers you are using and where you are getting them. Im curious I havent seen any by I've only been reloading for a couple years now.

Can you please list the brand and stuff on the brass colored primers you are using and where you are getting them. Im curious I havent seen any by I've only been reloading for a couple years now.

The Winchester large pistol primers I am using are brass colored.

I recently purchased 2500 pieces of .40 range brass here at not much over scrap price. I am recycling about 75 percent of the brass because it is not up to my standards. However I could load at least half of it with target loads and just leave it on the range. By the looks of the cases you would be picking up a lot of 5 to 8 times fired cases. If in doubt throw it out until you really know what you are doing.

Late to the party on this one.
Most of what you pick up at a range will be once fired. I check all my brass doesn't matter if its new or used. Lots of primers are copper, only one I can think of that silver is cci.

Back
Top Bottom