• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Open carry in Ohio

olchevy

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
138   0
Reaction score
Okay guys, I have looked and looked into this.

From what I have seen an read, although Ohio does not accept our GWL. Anyone that is above 18 and has no felonies can open carry in Ohio with no lisence, my question is does this apply to non-Ohio residents.

I have my GWL and carry everyday, and I am fine up until I hit the Ohio state line. I know I could get a Flordia or other states non-resident permit that would cover Ohio, but I don't have time for that right now as we are leaving out Wednesday.

So I am just double and quadruple checking to make sure it will be legal for me to open carry up there, since I can not legally conceal.

I did and everything I saw said it was ok to open carry. Just kinda checking and rechecking. This isn't something I want o screw up.

Okay guys, I have looked and looked into this.

From what I have seen an read, although Ohio does not accept our GWL. Anyone that is above 18 and has no felonies can open carry in Ohio with no lisence, my question is does this apply to non-Ohio residents.

I have my GWL and carry everyday, and I am fine up until I hit the Ohio state line. I know I could get a Flordia or other states non-resident permit that would cover Ohio, but I don't have time for that right now as we are leaving out Wednesday.

So I am just double and quadruple checking to make sure it will be legal for me to open carry up there, since I can not legally conceal.

You may open carry in Ohio without a permit. However you MAY NOT open carry/and or conceal carry in your vehicle unless you have permit. Gun most be stored in the rear UNLOADED meaning no ammo in the magazines.

Prepare to be hassled by the police. They are not open carry friendly.

I'd google Ohioians for Concealed Carry and join their forum to get definitive answers to your questions answered. I believe what I told you to be the case but....

Last edited:
Ohio does not have non-resedent permits. Also MMatt30 is correct you cannot carry in your car unless you have a permit and you cannot have a loaded mag for said firearm even seperately. Ammo must be in a seperate container or they WILL charge you with concealed carry of a firearm. I have family in Ohio and WV with their permits and they have said that even if its in say the trunk if there is a loaded mag in the glove compartment you will be charged.

I go to Ohio every month, as I'm originally from there and I conceal carry because I have a Flordia CCW as well as my GWL. The Florida CCW covers me in Ohio. I recommend applying for a Florida permit.

Back
Top Bottom