• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinions on RCBS Partner scale.

Cruisers460

Default rank <4500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
75   0
Reaction score
OK, here is the score. I've had one of these for years and have never been real happy with it. It finally screwed up completely so I called RCBS and was told that their lifetime warranty was now being handled by the manufacturer instead of them. They gave me the number and a quick call later I was told to send the unit and a check for $34.95 and it would be fixed and work like new. So add shipping and I'll be out $40.00 bucks for a new-used scale. Truthfully I'm not sure it is worth it. Have any of ya'll had one of these that worked right and if so how well did it do?

I'm not familiar with a partner scale? I have a 10-10 RCBS that was manufactured by Ohaus. It's the best scale I've ever owned.

$34.95 doesn't sound like warranty repair? Sounds like just a flat rate refurb/exchange to me?

Honestly the way I am, if I had something that I'd never cared for to start with, I'd put it out on a yard sale or throw it in the recycle bin, and start over with something else.

I'm not familiar with a partner scale? I have a 10-10 RCBS that was manufactured by Ohaus. It's the best scale I've ever owned.

$34.95 doesn't sound like warranty repair? Sounds like just a flat rate refurb/exchange to me?

Honestly the way I am, if I had something that I'd never cared for to start with, I'd put it out on a yard sale or throw it in the recycle bin, and start over with something else.

Me too, Ohaus 10-10 (same scale I think which is now under RCBS 10-10 label). Go to 23:52 in this youtube video to see the RCBS 10-10 in use.

I have a 505 scale that I've never used and a 510 that has been my standard for years. I bought the Partner thinking that an electronic scale would be better, When it works it is! Just wondering if I got a bad one from the get go. really wasn't expecting to have to pay $34.95 when it said lifetime warranty! Guess that's what they mean by "limited". You just reached your limit!

I've got a couple of digital scales too. One of them is a Pact that looks very much like one that RCBS marketed. I've had it about ten years, and it's a good scale, but....

It requires warming up, sometimes it may change a significant amount from cold start to an hour later.
It sometimes takes forever to calibrate, I get tired of waiting and just unplug it when it does.

It reacts too slow for me when I'm trickling a charge. My 10-10 reacts to 1 flake immediately.

The electronics I have are ok, I use them to weigh unknown things like bullets and arrows? They're great for checking pistol charges as I load. I zero with an empty case, charge it, weigh it again, and you verify charge weight with ease.

I use the 10-10 for all my precision work. I've had it about 20 years. If it went missing, I'd buy it again.

Tough choice. I paid more than $100.00 for my Pact several years ago.

I bought some off brand on closeout for $29.00 a couple of years ago and it works about the same as the Pact? Temperature sensitivity, slower reaction time than a mechanical and all the rest.

If and when the Pact gives up the ghost, I'll likely trash it and just use the cheapies for non critical stuff, and the RCBS mechanical for precision work.

I have an Ohaus .. It's about 40 years old and still works like it was brand new! Everything said about them above is absolutely true.

I have never liked the electronic scales: Too Sensitive, Too Needy of Calibration, Too Slow / Fast (Over-reacts!) .... Bottom Line: Too Untrustworthy.

The magnetically dampened Ohaus and such are (in my opinion) unbeatable and worth every cent you pay for them!

BTW: I bought mine new, loaned it to my step-father for 10 years and had him send it back to me when he retired!
It may have "Taken a Licking", but "it's still Ticking"!

Last edited:
I'd guess my 510 is around 30 years old, still works well. the electronic is a lot faster for weighing odd stuff like a box of mixed up bullets though! Just a pain in a$$ when its not working right.

I'd guess my 510 is around 30 years old, still works well. the electronic is a lot faster for weighing odd stuff like a box of mixed up bullets though! Just a pain in a$$ when its not working right.

You are right about that .. If you have the mode-changable display they also make Good Postage Scales!

Back
Top Bottom