• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Or how I cam to be so narrowly focused on the Walther PP series pistols.....

I've been in this hobby for about as long as most, and have tested the waters in many areas. Just like so many of you'all I started with my Dad hunting small things for the Brunswick stew pot. He gave me my first .22 Remington rifle (that I could never carry if he wasn't along). I progressed and spent 20 years in the Navy then 28 years as a working cop (mostly in Gwinnett). During this time I was, for a few years, firarms trainng supervisor and range master. We progressed from Model 10 Smiths to 686s to 659s. I tested the first Glocks for the department back in 1986 and if there hadn't been two unintentional discharges during the testing period we would have been the first to go to Glocks in Georgia.

Since that time of course the Department has adopted the Glock as issue weapon and is better off for it.

After retiring from Gwinnett PD we moved to Paulding to be near our grown children and grandchildren. I shot with GSSF, got equipped to SASS and CAS, and rode with the U.S. Military Vets MC. Most of my shooting was at ranges indoor and out and I have ended up with a safe full of Uberti, and other SSA clones and Glocks of every sort including Gen 1,2, 3, 4, and 5 Model 17s. (Did all the GSSF shooting with Glocks of course.
Over time I have ended up with a very nearly complete collection of Victory Model Smith and Wesson World War II Lend Lease revolvers marked for use by the U.S., Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and post-war German Police Departments, etc. Never have been able to find a verified Union of South Africa-marked service revolver, however. Next to Biden they must have been the most anti-gun government in the world. There are also a gaggle of Mauser and Mauser clones jammed in the back of the safe just because I like them and think they are cool. The German Nazi regime certainly did a lot of proof and inspection marking on all their guns and that makes a fascinating field of study just in itself. And that's what led me to the very interesting area of Walther PP series pistols. It also has forced me to try and start planning how to thin out my many collections (accumulations) of years.
Just as everyone here, I like to be prepared for whatever may come, so naturally will have my personal battery available but am going to work on making some room in the lock-up.
There will always be room for some nice PPKs, however - so I am still looking.
Reading over this I didn't mean to be so long winded, I guess I'm just glad to be here. Thanks. alabamafats.
Sadly, you might find some people won’t deal with you just because you’re new. Or have 0 feedback. That was my experience recently and I took it a little too personally. Ha ha.

WG1.png

I've been in this hobby for about as long as most, and have tested the waters in many areas. Just like so many of you'all I started with my Dad hunting small things for the Brunswick stew pot. He gave me my first .22 Remington rifle (that I could never carry if he wasn't along). I progressed and spent 20 years in the Navy then 28 years as a working cop (mostly in Gwinnett). During this time I was, for a few years, firarms trainng supervisor and range master. We progressed from Model 10 Smiths to 686s to 659s. I tested the first Glocks for the department back in 1986 and if there hadn't been two unintentional discharges during the testing period we would have been the first to go to Glocks in Georgia.

Since that time of course the Department has adopted the Glock as issue weapon and is better off for it.

After retiring from Gwinnett PD we moved to Paulding to be near our grown children and grandchildren. I shot with GSSF, got equipped to SASS and CAS, and rode with the U.S. Military Vets MC. Most of my shooting was at ranges indoor and out and I have ended up with a safe full of Uberti, and other SSA clones and Glocks of every sort including Gen 1,2, 3, 4, and 5 Model 17s. (Did all the GSSF shooting with Glocks of course.
Over time I have ended up with a very nearly complete collection of Victory Model Smith and Wesson World War II Lend Lease revolvers marked for use by the U.S., Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and post-war German Police Departments, etc. Never have been able to find a verified Union of South Africa-marked service revolver, however. Next to Biden they must have been the most anti-gun government in the world. There are also a gaggle of Mauser and Mauser clones jammed in the back of the safe just because I like them and think they are cool. The German Nazi regime certainly did a lot of proof and inspection marking on all their guns and that makes a fascinating field of study just in itself. And that's what led me to the very interesting area of Walther PP series pistols. It also has forced me to try and start planning how to thin out my many collections (accumulations) of years.
Just as everyone here, I like to be prepared for whatever may come, so naturally will have my personal battery available but am going to work on making some room in the lock-up.
There will always be room for some nice PPKs, however - so I am still looking.
Reading over this I didn't mean to be so long winded, I guess I'm just glad to be here. Thanks. alabamafats.
Welcome

My Monday brain read you retired from the PD in 1986 after 28 years and that was after 20 in military. Was thinking you was from 1920!!! Mighta had John Dillingers original A5. Anyway welcome to the ODT! Hope you find all your Walthers.

Back
Top Bottom