OSHA and Firing Ranges

Heard bros electric... and their ass is about to get thrown off the job. They're making 8 an hour though if its that big a difference, but still under the table. Their so screwed up they wontpay their regular employees overtime, just pay the Mexicans straight time under the table. Union campaigns pulling for Osha is like your taxes paying for cops, they will still write you a ticket. I've been on jobs where I've had to be yoyod on ladders over 6 feet, have to be certified and licensed just to get on a scissor lift, and had to wear reflective vests. Unions pushed for osha for good reasons. The fatality rate has decreased dramatically. Lock out tag out and other procedures mag seem like over kill when you have a stack of paperwork for every breaker flipped, but I've also had friends die from shock, falls etc. My union has health and life insurance along with workers comp for good reasons, I may not come home tomorrow as the result of someone's carelessness. There's mote dangers than ppl realize. Somebody has to keep **** in check.
I've yet to see a commercial electrical outfit that employs $5/hr mexicans or anyone else at that rate for that matter. Reread my post carefully. Safety is one thing, dumbing a trade down to where anyone can claim the title is completely different.

Heard bros electric... and their ass is about to get thrown off the job. They're making 8 an hour though if its that big a difference, but still under the table. Their so screwed up they wontpay their regular employees overtime, just pay the Mexicans straight time under the table. Union campaigns pulling for Osha is like your taxes paying for cops, they will still write you a ticket. I've been on jobs where I've had to be yoyod on ladders over 6 feet, have to be certified and licensed just to get on a scissor lift, and had to wear reflective vests. Unions pushed for osha for good reasons. The fatality rate has decreased dramatically. Lock out tag out and other procedures mag seem like over kill when you have a stack of paperwork for every breaker flipped, but I've also had friends die from shock, falls etc. My union has health and life insurance along with workers comp for good reasons, I may not come home tomorrow as the result of someone's carelessness. There's mote dangers than ppl realize. Somebody has to keep **** in check.

Ultimately you are responsible for your safety. Many of the safety procedures in place now are assinine, such as wearing a reflective vest on a interior buildout, or hardhats once the ceiling is installed. Lockout/Tagout is only as good as the people with the keys and tags. Just about every decent contractor regardless of union or a merit shop has life insurance, health insurance and the law requires workman's comp if there are more than two employees.

As I've only been in the trade for eighteen years, I may not have seen all the dangers but am aware of most of them. Once again I will reitterate my position that all of the skilled trades have been dumbed down to the point where most anyone can claim the title. OSHA is only part of that process. Depending on some big government agency or the safety nazis of a GC who is more concerned about lower insurance rates is not the best way to insure your safety. Knowing your technical skills, understanding what you are working on and how it can affect you, and sticking to tried and true methods are what keep people from getting hurt. Do you really think that some beaurocrat with a hardhat and a ticket book understands your job better than you do?

I don't want or need OSHA. OSHA sucks and they only make it harder for the honest workers. If you work in a loud factory, you don't need anyone to tell you that you need ear plugs, you know it's loud! If you're working on electrical circuits or mechanical parts that are electrically driven, it's your responsibility to lock it out. If you don't know how to take care of yourself then you have no business doing the job. I am certified to teach OSHA training and it's the biggest joke I've seen yet.

I don't want or need OSHA. OSHA sucks and they only make it harder for the honest workers. If you work in a loud factory, you don't need anyone to tell you that you need ear plugs, you know it's loud! If you're working on electrical circuits or mechanical parts that are electrically driven, it's your responsibility to lock it out. If you don't know how to take care of yourself then you have no business doing the job. I am certified to teach OSHA training and it's the biggest joke I've seen yet.

As part of my test to get my liscense I had to study and test on OSHA rules for the jobsite. I agree with your statement.

OSHA is just another gov't agency run amock. Useless, burdensome and full of rediculous, safety nazi pencil pushers! Everyone that has a problem with OSHA for any reason-I agree with you! They are another agency that needs to be severely cut back, just the the EPA, FDA and most other initialized gov't agencies.

In my opinion, OSHA is a lot like the EPA and other departments... they started out as a group that fixed real problems. But over the years they've grown out of control.

Well, not out of control. They had to grow and find new (much less serious) problems to justify their own existance... Granted new technology brings new problems, but OSHA (and others) could handle that with 10% staff and get along just fine.

I see this as a political hit on the ownership of guns,(as it happened in IL.)and OSHA being the tool.Not that I have a lotta use for OSHA.I think they`ve exceeded their usefulness,and need to be shut down and restarted,overhauled.

that sound like the hazards involved in that line of work anywway, i fail to see how a government over-watch is going to prevent negligence

training helps but id figure if you wanna come home at the end of the day DONT RELY ON OTHER PEOPLE FOR YOUR SAFETY

OSHA sucks, my dad shared a shop for his tool and die company with some other folks. they had some government asshat come in and get onto the manager or owner or what have you because a hanging box fan didnt have a cover to it, and the guy climbed up on a box, put his hand down over the fan lip and touched the blades (while fan was off of course) saying "someone could get their hand cut off if they put it in here"

of course the managers response was "if someone put their hand in there they deserve to have their hand cut off"

i dont feel like we need government bureaucratic BS to enforce safety (most of which is common sense). unions are horrible, as they are just a private version of the government, self serving and greedy at that.

I've yet to see a commercial electrical outfit that employs $5/hr mexicans or anyone else at that rate for that matter. Reread my post carefully. Safety is one thing, dumbing a trade down to where anyone can claim the title is completely different.

I agree and from a FORMER believer and board member to a very large union......THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion, OSHA is a lot like the EPA and other departments... they started out as a group that fixed real problems. But over the years they've grown out of control.

Well, not out of control. They had to grow and find new (much less serious) problems to justify their own existance... Granted new technology brings new problems, but OSHA (and others) could handle that with 10% staff and get along just fine.

Bingo!

When OSHA was created in the early 1970's it was needed to help rein in hazards in the work place and to promote safety. They have been effective at that endeavor since their inception. As with most large bureaucratic organizations that vision has been modified to justify their budget and existence.

Perhaps this whole situation with the gun range is being exaggerated (on both sides) but I think one would need to scrutinize the organization actions and trends.

It's current public knowledge that the Supreme Commander in Chief has been quoted as instituting "gun control under the radar". Anyone who is naive enough to think he has done more for gun rights and not overtly considered to compromise in order to promote his agenda are deluding themselves. A politician can and has changed his spots but his past record is blatantly reflective of his choices. The Illinois record does not reflect highly on a pro-gun agenda nor do the covert choices of our chief made in the past several years.

Back
Top Bottom