Out of state buyer: need advice.

Someone has approached me about buying a handgun. He is from Tennessee, but he has a son in Atlanta.

-Would I would be breaking the law selling to his son?
-Isn't this the definition of a "straw" purchase?
-Would a bill of sale signed by his son cover me?
-Do I need to do an FFL transfer to the son?

Any advice will be appreciated.

If it were me, I would only sell to the original person showing interest. Also, I would have to ship it to their FFL and have them transfer it to the state resident of TN.

- - - Updated - - -

The father is in TN, but he is in the process of moving from GA to TN. He said he still has GADL and GA voter registration. The son lives in GA.

Once he said he no longer owns a house in GA, even though he has a license, that would throw flags to me.

He said he owns multiple homes in GA. I'm not going to deal with this guy, guns are a hot topic right now and I wouldn't be surprised if it's an ATF/MSNBC sting.

Looking for answers to avoid statutory law can have dire consequences.
You have two issues here 1. If you sell to the son knowing it is truly for the father..you are facilitating a straw man purchase
2. The man has told you he is moving to Tn, the fact that he has a Ga D.L. and GWL in his possession does not absolve you of guilt.
Where does he sleep at night..if he is merely looking for a place in Tn and is still a Ga resident he can buy..if already has a place in Tn and is living there only returning to Ga to retrieve remaining possessions, he is a resident of Tn and you would be violating the law because , he has made this information available to you.
At this point your best bet to protect yourself is bow out gracefully.
Your admitted knowledge of the facts supports the "intent" to commit a crime if you go thru with the sale.....FFL transfer or No sale.

But the guy said he has a GADL, wouldn't that absolve me of any wrong doing if I sold to his son?

No , the mere fact he is still in possession of a document DOES NOT MEAN he is still a ga resident.
YOU have a 5 year GWL..if you move to Fl. next weekend, you still have that document in your pocket but you are no longer a ga res.
You have posted in an open forum that he has told you he is in the process of moving.. this is called "notice" you are on notice that you may be violating the law.
From an old Marine to another ...... you are standing one razor thin ice.

Back
Top Bottom