• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Outdoor Traders Please Read! Be vigilant with transactions!

From my understanding, if you had taken the rifle to a local Georgia licensee/FFL, and the FFL then entered it into his/her A&D book as an Acquisition, the FFL could then have transferred it to the out of state resident (as a Disposition), and the out of state resident could then carry it across the state line. Long gun only; handgun not allowed. Again, this is what I understand to be true and within ATF guidelines.

This is my understanding also.

Thank you for your replies. Now I don't know if it makes a difference or not. This was a long gun. It was a Ruger 10/22 not a handgun.

The only difference is that a long gun can be transferred through a SC FFL - in other words, you can go to his local gun store and complete the transaction. Or it can be transferred through a GA. FFL.

A handgun can only be transferred through a FFL in the state of of the purchaser. The seller can use a delivery service, or he can hand deliver to the (in this case) GA. FFL.

If you correspond further with the seller, ask him how long he's been working for the BATFE.

Several months (maybe a year) back, i ran across a deal on my local Armslist that really gave me a vibe like a gumbent set-up. I saw a clean WASR for a reasonable price, so i messaged the guy. When he responded I could see his e-mail address and I immediately recognized it as the same guy I'd spoken with a few months earlier, about an identical rifle.
Both times, I found out he was on the Alabama side from me (very close, so it's something we have to be alert for here), and I told him if he'd come over to a well known gunsmith and FFL I know over here, and we do a transfer, I'd take the rifle. But, both times he kept insisting everything was kosher, trying to get me to come meet in a police station parking lot over on that side. I'd triple checked the law, even sending him copied/pasted text directly from the ATF's FAQ page, saying ALL firearm transfers between different state residents must be legally transferred through an FFL. But the guy kept insisting everything was ok, and trying to get me to meet in Alabama, and we finally stopped communicating. I haven't seen the rifle posted since, or come across that e-mail address again.

.....and then ask him if he can get you one of them cool ATF baseball caps !! :becky:
atf-when-that-guys-16-inch-ar-barrel-looks-suspiciously-9331831-1.png
8ce459647123bb61d6dfe247326f4f9f.jpg

So am I understanding this correctly. For a face to face transfer, if someone from another state comes to Georgia. We could meet up at an FFL, he can log the handgun in and then transfer to the in state resident? Assuming a usual transfer fee.

For a long gun, we could meet up at an FFL in either state and do the same thing.

Thanks,

Rosewood

I recently purchased a very rare Dan Wesson 1911 from a South Carolina guy with 000 feedback...He was nice enough to meet me at a Georgia gun store to make the transfer...It was a lot of hassle for him, but I told him that is the only way I could legally buy the gun. I have no idea if he was BATFE or not, I just knew with a gun this rare, I wanted all the T's crossed and I's dotted professionally...Thanks Guns and Gear in Lavonia!

I recently purchased a very rare Dan Wesson 1911 from a South Carolina guy with 000 feedback...He was nice enough to meet me at a Georgia gun store to make the transfer...It was a lot of hassle for him, but I told him that is the only way I could legally buy the gun. I have no idea if he was BATFE or not, I just knew with a gun this rare, I wanted all the T's crossed and I's dotted professionally...Thanks Guns and Gear in Lavonia!
For out of state that is the way it should be done!

So am I understanding this correctly. For a face to face transfer, if someone from another state comes to Georgia. We could meet up at an FFL, he can log the handgun in and then transfer to the in state resident? Assuming a usual transfer fee.

For a long gun, we could meet up at an FFL in either state and do the same thing.

Thanks,

Rosewood

If we want to be hyper-technical (and of course we do, this being the ODT and all), the FFL doesn't have to log the gun in if it's a FTF transfer. He can run the background check without logging the gun in. He may choose to do so, but that's a business decision.

Also, be aware that to be legal, the transaction has to be legal according to the laws of both states, which may be the reason that some FFL might not want to do a transaction for a buyer from a state which has rules they are not familiar with. For ex. if someone from IL. wanted to purchase a gun in GA. the Ga. gun dealer has to make sure that the purchaser is legal according to the insane IL. laws.

As to the mechanics, you have it down.

Back
Top Bottom