• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Oysters

I sure did last night. Finished off a bottle of Eagle Rare. I only had a few of the oysters raw. Most of them I roasted open on the grill because I was feeling a little lazy and didn't feel like shucking. My girlfriend and I demolished a half bushel.
good God man!!
that's good liv'n!!

I think the "R" thing was before refrigeration....however I've also read it's about the water temperature where they are harvested....
Yeah, it's complete nonsense but I've quit bothering to correct people. Grew up in lowcountry SC. Oyster boils almost every fourth of July. No problems.

Yeah, it's complete nonsense but I've quit bothering to correct people. Grew up in lowcountry SC. Oyster boils almost every fourth of July. No problems.
Yep, it’s harder to keep them properly cold in the summer. The harvesters (in Fla, not sure in other states) need to be off the water about noon in the summer months.

Then the stores and restaurants are responsible for taking proper care of them.

Best/worst deal on oysters.....

Best: Whole Foods in San Mateo used to offer (2008) a tray of 12 or 24 shucked Kumamoto oysters with all the trimmings, on ice, covered in plastic wrap for pickup in their seafood dept. for $12 or $20, depending on quantity. Fantastic deal.

Worst: Chicago Lincoln Park (2005) allegedly the best fish monger in the city, bought a bushel for Margaret's mom's 95th birthday party. I had sold a Faberge cigar lamp and used the money to lay out a spread, a tin of Beluga caviar, two cases of Dom Perignon 1996, and a bushel of fresh oysters which I planned to shuck the evening of the party, just before the guests arrived. Had a big ice sculpture of the number "95" delivered to the house with a large tray full of crushed ice ready for the oysters. Put out all the sterling dishes, water pitchers, goblets, flatware, etc., I mean we really pulled out all the stops.

As I was shucking the damned oysters (and folks were arriving and being served cocktails, I was getting more and pissed by the minute as about HALF of the damned things had some type of parasitic crab (pea crabs) in them. I know, I know, you can eat them, AND they are supposed to be a sign of good luck, but there ain't no Gottdamned way in hell I'm putting those out for guests and I was personally repulsed, good luck be damned.

The ice display was "sparse" in the oyster area and the fish monger closed, so there wasn't much I could do about it.

Back
Top Bottom