• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

P226 in .357 sig?

Smiley

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
58   0
Reaction score
So, I have been really interested in the P226 for a while and toying around with the idea of .357sig. Looking for some input, experiences with the gun and the round.

As far as the p226 goes: I have only shot one in 9mm, and it has been a while since, but I remember it being accurate, fitting my hand well and comfortable to shoot. The specific model I was interested in is a Enhanced Elite. Any pros and cons about the gun would be appreciated.

As for the round itself, I have shot it in a Glock but nothing else. The recoil felt similar to .40 to me, maybe a little lighter. I know the general consensus is that it is hard to reload, but I am up for a challenge. That is actually why I am considering the cartridge, otherwise, I don't know if shooting it would fit my budget. I load single stage and rifle rounds so the necked cartridge doesn't bother me. There are several tips and tricks online, but first hand experience advice would be appreciated.

I have a 226 in 40 and apparently you can swap out the barrel for a 357 barrel with no other mod's (as far as I know - takes the same 40 mags). I have read where some people recommend changing the recoil spring too - but there was some debate on whether this was necessary.

Also, you can get a 9mm slide, barrel, and a mag or two from sigsauer.com for about $300-350 IIRC.

As for the caliber itself, I have no experience with it. Some people love it, swear by its ballistics, and so forth but it seems to be just a bit too expensive for me. Prices aren't bad - per se - put I couldn't justify having another caliber to find ammo for.

My p226 In 357 sig let out a foot long fireball every round. If you're interested in 357 sig and as a reloader, go ahead with 357 sig platform. Superior ballistics to a .40 and as a reloader, you can download the charge to a 9mm loading, may require a recoil spring switch, but cheaper than going the. 40 platform and getting two separate barrels, recoil springs etc.

Yeah, I have heard the .357 sig has significant muzzle flash. To me that could make for some fun at the range.

Meat, how do feel about the controllability? Follow ups as easy as a 9mm, easier than a .40?

Back
Top Bottom