• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pawn Shop Adventures on Veteran's day.

01coltcolt

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
12   0
Reaction score
I was out running around looking at guns. Kind of a boring lazy day. I stubbled into a pretty darn good deal. I was staring at the pistol grip poking out on a shelf behind the counter of a local Pawn shop. I ask the man behind the counter what it was he said its a old Colt. So he shows it to me. It was a 1877 Colt Lightning in .38 LC. It was in decent shape so I checked the s/n for manufacture date and it was made around 1898. I ask if I could check the action and he said sure. It was jacked up. It didn't work in single or double action and the hammer wouldn't stay back at all. I was kinda disappointed.

He said we have a few more of those around here some where. I said can I see them. Ihe was in the back for about 10 minutes and brought out a set of 1877 Colts one in .38 LC and one in .41 LC. I have a few of these already so I know what there worth. I checked the actions, s/n's, and condition. I was quite pleased with both. there was no prices on either so I ask how much for the .41 Thunder knowing it was the most valuable. They range from $1000-2000 in good working order and I placed this one in the $1400 range. He said he could do $500 because they have been there forever. So I quickly said I'll take it. I slipped in there would you take $900 if I buy both and he said sure why not.

My collection

Sweet! Can you shoot them, if you can find ammo?
Yes but the ammo is expensive. Its got to be black power cartridges. But yes they can be fired. but for the mst part are collected.

The model 1877 was introduced in 1877 as the first double action Colts ever made. They were offered in .32 Long Colt (The Rain maker), .38 Long Colt (The Lightning) and .41 Long Colt (The Thunder).
These where immediately picked up by the US Army at the time under contract but discontinued due to the springs being some what delicate and not easy to repair. But they where a huge hit on the civilian market. They where loathed and bragged about by many Lawmen and outlaws some of witch noted in many books and loving this platform where Pat Garrett, Billy the Kid, John Wesley Hardin, Cole Younger and lady bandits Belle Starr and Pearl Hart, to name a few.

They are well balanced and fit in your hand really nicely with their distinguished "Birds head" grip. The .32 LC (Rain Maker) was discontinued the first year of manufacturing 1877. Rain Maker, very rare and very collectible they have sold as high as $45k at auction. These are hands down my favorite old Colts. I was even lucky enough to acquire a few years back, a .38 Lightning s/n 1495 first year run with the original rose wood grips fully intact and the action works perfect.

Back
Top Bottom