Payoff the Mortgage or Invest?

I saw many contractors that lost their (mortgaged) homes in the oBana economic downturn. Not just a few divorces, as well.

Fees and CG taxes tend to wipe out a lot of what you think you have, especially selling in a down market. Add in mortgage interest you are paying so you can "use" your money to invest, and the returns start looking smaller and smaller.

Most of them lost their homes because the banks were making loans that defied all traditional lending practices. I did a multi-year deep dive on this and I still don't understand how no one went to jail, except for the fact that the "leaders" of both parties are beholden to the big banks.

People who had traditional loans based an standard banking practices came through o.k. People who had interest only loans, 0 down loans, and so on, who were betting on the continued appreciation of real estate got hammered. I have seen loan packages that defy any reasonable belief, and these were packages where the loans were made.

You don't buy a home as an "investment". You buy it because you have to have shelter, and long term, your overall financial situation will be better if you recoup some or most of that cost through a home purchase rather than paying rent.

In fact one of the things I learned is that the banks count on a large percentage of home loans being paid off through sales in 5-7 years --effectively increasing their yield because of all the fees and points that are front loaded.

This.

in simplest terms, you are proposing using borrowed money to make passive investments. This almost never works out. You will do much better in the long run to pay off your house early.

Wait what? Making passive investments “almost never works out”? Alrighty then.

Numbers don't lie, and they'll likely tell you to invest as opposed to paying off the mortgage.

All I can tell you is that life and Murphy's Law won't give a **** about the numbers should they decide to conspire against you. 18 months ago my wife got sick. A year ago she got real sick. For a combination of weird, unlikely reasons we didn't have insurance on her when she was first diagnosed. We've just come out the other side of her treatments and surgeries. She's holding her own for now, and to say I'm grateful for that is an understatement. During this last 18 months we lost our business, then we lost a vehicle, and then we lost our home. I've worked all my life, I'm a Veteran, and I've never asked anyone for a handout...and yet we just had to move into my parents basement until I can find a way to right the ship. That will be easier said than done since banks now look at my credit score like I'm some kind of leper.

There's a few guys on this site that really know me, and I think they'd tell you it is odd for me to share something like this. After reading your original post I wanted to though, because I know that I'd give anything for my wife to be in our home continuing to recover.

If you can do it, pay off your mortgage. The security of knowing that you'll always have "home" no matter what life throws at you is, at least in my mind, invaluable.

Numbers don't lie, and they'll likely tell you to invest as opposed to paying off the mortgage.

All I can tell you is that life and Murphy's Law won't give a **** about the numbers should they decide to conspire against you. 18 months ago my wife got sick. A year ago she got real sick. For a combination of weird, unlikely reasons we didn't have insurance on her when she was first diagnosed. We've just come out the other side of her treatments and surgeries. She's holding her own for now, and to say I'm grateful for that is an understatement. During this last 18 months we lost our business, then we lost a vehicle, and then we lost our home. I've worked all my life, I'm a Veteran, and I've never asked anyone for a handout...and yet we just had to move into my parents basement until I can find a way to right the ship. That will be easier said than done since banks now look at my credit score like I'm some kind of leper.

There's a few guys on this site that really know me, and I think they'd tell you it is odd for me to share something like this. After reading your original post I wanted to though, because I know that I'd give anything for my wife to be in our home continuing to recover.

If you can do it, pay off your mortgage. The security of knowing that you'll always have "home" no matter what life throws at you is, at least in my mind, invaluable.

Sorry to hear that man. We can get plan plan plan, but you’re right, life has its own course. Wishing your wife a prompt recovery. Stay strong!

Thanks for the advice and certainly wishing the best for y'all.

Hope your wife makes a speedy recovery

For the OP and others

If your house was paid for ,
Would you go take out a loan against it and use that money to invest in the stock market ??
No but then again I've never taken out a loan against the equity in my home for any reason and don't ever plan to. Further I would continue to invest in the market regardless of if my home is paid for or not.

No but then again I've never taken out a loan against the equity in my home for any reason and don't ever plan to. Further I would continue to invest in the market regardless of if my home is paid for or not.

But that’s exactly what you’re doing by purchasing stock market investments with your spare cash instead of purchasing your house with the spare cash

Back
Top Bottom