GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
E5EC9983-DBE5-4741-A73D-E2824146C0A8.jpeg
640852C6-DBB7-490C-87DB-5BF8BDF767B0.jpeg
252B4902-EB14-426B-ABDA-ECA59C7C0239.jpeg

Country Folks Superstore on Hwy 9 at Spot Rd. in Cumming has a bowling pin shoot the 3rd Monday of each month, starting at 6 p.m.

The cost is $15, and you get several strings of fire.
Each string or stage consists of either 5 or 7 pins to knock off a wooden bench at 30 feet.

When seven pins are used, two of them will be ones were you can only shoot the head or top section of the pin which has been cleanly sawed off to detach it from the main body. The main body is painted black and it is always a no-shoot or hostage target.
so for those pins you need to be able to hit a target that is only 1.5" wide and maybe 3 inches tall .

When a regular pin is your target, you can shoot it anywhere. The pins are placed on the very back edge of the wooden bench, so they will almost always fall off with any hit. But if one remains on the table top but laying on its side, you have the choice to either shoot it more or just take a 3 second penalty added to your finish time.

The body of a bowling pin is pretty big. It looks like it could be represented as an oval about 3 inches wide and 7 inches tall. If you're a decent shot, you should be able to make those body shots with open sights, even if your gun has a less than crisp trigger pull. But when you must shoot just the top section of a pin, it appears that having some type of optic is very helpful. The people who are using red dot equipped .22 LR target pistols with 5-inch barrels were getting the fastest times tonight.

They tell me that the targets have always been placed at 10 yards or 30 feet, however, if that becomes boring they said they might change the distance for upcoming matches.

All types of handguns are all scored equally. No matter whether you use a 45 automatic, a .357 revolver, a .22 pistol. Whether your gun has iron sights, a red dot sight, a micro open-frame red dot, or even a frame-mounted laser or Crimson Trace lasergrips, all of your scores will depend on how fast and how accurately you hit the target, not what weapon you used.

But, since many of the stages require seven hits on 7 individual targets (or parts of a target) your gun had better hold at least eight rounds, and 10 would make a lot more sense. Tonight I saw a couple shooters who needed at least 10 rounds, sometimes 13 or 14, to get all seven targets down.

A good run would involve firing perhaps 8 or 9 shots and having a total time of 10 seconds. That could either be an honest 10 seconds with no penalty or maybe a 7 second shooting time plus a 3- second penalty for leaving one pin laying on its side on the table top.

This was my first time there. I came late, and I did not bring a suitable gun. So I did not shoot today. I just watched and took a couple of pics. I will come back next month.
October 15th.
(It's always the third Monday of the month.)

1085D08C-DBC8-45A0-8200-BDCF77FA6C3E.jpeg

P.S. Country Folks is a cool place. Part gun shop,
part western clothing store, part farm and feed supply,
part Christian bookstore.
They have a sense of humor too.

Me and a couple folks toyed with pin shoots at Norcross Gun a few years ago.

They did it a little differently. If you were shooting a .22 they placed the pins at the back edge but if you were shooting .45 or something they would move them closer to the front of the plywood. Oh, and it was irons only.

I think the .22 has a real advantage over the others for speed and accuracy at this range.

It's great to compete because it gets the juices flowing!

Also, I think they finally made folks go to hollow tips only 'cause the fmj's would kick stuff back from the pins.

Trigger Time in Flowery Branch has been running bowling pin matches for years. It's basically what started my interest in competition shooting. I think they run every other Wednesday now. If you get into it might be another match you want check out.

I loved when they would do head to head shoot offs. 2 people shoot at the same time and whoever clears their table first moves on. It was like drag racing.

Once you discover getting to run around with a gun though it's hard to go back to standing still.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

A few friends and I have talked about trying out the County Store pin shoot since its like 5 minutes away. Just for something to do on a week night. I keep meaning to check out the store sometime.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Country Folks pin matches in Cumming don't involve drawing from a holster.
It looks like "high ready" is the position to be in when the timer is about to beep.
The weapons must be cleared and visually inspected by the range officer before you can either
--holster them (if you're wearing holster) or
-- just put them in your range bag, which is what most people do.

These pin matches do not involve any movement of the shooter. Other than swinging your arms across what might be a 20° arc from the furthest left pin to the furthest right pin . You do all your shooting stationary from one booth of the firing line, with a little table in front of you to rest your weapon and spare magazine on.

Back
Top Bottom