Pistol Mounted Optics Discussion Thread

Sounds like hero worship, but, okay.
A little bit, no doubt, but Im not about speed like so many are today. I know you can be fast and proficient but I’ll take proficiency over speed all day. It just seems like that’s the push in the community over the last decade or so. Tech/kit everything we can over learning how to use what you have. Again, nothing wrong with gucci glocks and kitted out AR’s but being proficient with a factory Glock or being able to pick up a Beretta 92 and shoot accurately, I think that’s as important, if not more so, than to be the fastest gun on the Eastcoast with your Guccified G17…

A little bit, no doubt, but Im not about speed like so many are today. I know you can be fast and proficient but I’ll take proficiency over speed all day. It just seems like that’s the push in the community over the last decade or so. Tech/kit everything we can over learning how to use what you have. Again, nothing wrong with gucci glocks and kitted out AR’s but being proficient with a factory Glock or being able to pick up a Beretta 92 and shoot accurately, I think that’s as important, if not more so, than to be the fastest gun on the Eastcoast with your Guccified G17…
Proficiency translates to irons. You. Can rock a stock gun with a dot on it and be fast and proficient.

If you're the fastest and still make your hits, how is that not proficient?

Folks have become so against the Instagram Operators that now being slow on purpose is becoming the new counter-trend.

Being smooth is not synonymous with being "slow." Rob Leatham has perfectly smooth movements and he's one of the fastest and most accurate pistol shooters to ever live.

If you're the fastest and still make your hits, how is that not proficient?

Folks have become so against the Instagram Operators that now being slow on purpose is becoming the new counter-trend.

Being smooth is not synonymous with being "slow." Rob Leatham has perfectly smooth movements and he's one of the fastest and most accurate pistol shooter to ever live.
Absolutely, there are MANY who are fast and proficient; there’s also MANY who are trying to mimic the IG Operators you speak of and in the process, are picking up bad habits, using piss poor marksmanship, and they are tossing the basics to the side in light of being “tacticool”. Again, I’m not knocking you or anyone else who can/does use a red dot. As long as you can be proficient, do what works best for you! It’s just my humble opinion that they aren’t necessary and don’t need to be there on a your sidearm. 5 years from now, with a little more practice, I’m likely to change my mind if I’m honest lol I’m not so stuck in my ways that I cannot adapt to become better or greater…

Absolutely, there are MANY who are fast and proficient; there’s also MANY who are trying to mimic the IG Operators you speak of and in the process, are picking up bad habits, using piss poor marksmanship, and they are tossing the basics to the side in light of being “tacticool”. Again, I’m not knocking you or anyone else who can/does use a red dot. As long as you can be proficient, do what works best for you! It’s just my humble opinion that they aren’t necessary and don’t need to be there on a your sidearm. 5 years from now, with a little more practice, I’m likely to change my mind if I’m honest lol I’m not so stuck in my ways that I cannot adapt to become better or greater…

A reasonable and polite reply? What has this place come to???????

I'm so disappointed lol

You are most certainly right. Having to work through those bad habits are infinitely worse than teaching someone who's never even shot a pistol before in my experience. I'm "fortunate" I suppose that I don't have decades of muscle memory on front sight focus because I am fairly close to the same speed between using irons and using a dot at the same distances. Accuracy is comparable until we get out to further distances. Where the dot tends to shine, as is typical.

Dots seem to be here to stay, and it seems that as long as a person has a good one, and mounts it properly, they are highly beneficial to the trained user. But irons certainly aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Not with an entire generation of shooters that have thousands upon thousands of reps using iron sights.

Back to your regularly scheduled topic...

Looking for a good red dot for my FN 509t. have an FNX with RMR but wanting to try a Holosun on my 509T. Looking at these three, anyone have feedback on these models specifically?

HE507K-Gr X2 ($400)
HE507Comp-GR ($470)
EPS Green MRS ($505)

leaning towards the 507 Comp as I don't carry this gun, but would like to shoot a comp at some point. Not sure that it makes a difference but I usually shoot it suppressed (my RMR on the FNX tends to get pretty dirty).

Burdy Burdy , will take a look at the Steiner MPS in the near future.

Ok got the right thread this time........ Irons FTW.

Hk.JPG

I had an older guy tell me I was too fast at an IDPA match and that accuracy is final.

I think I won that match overall and was down less points than him.

Dots= mo betta

I think dots are superior, close range you shouldn’t even need your sights if your fundamentals are polished. I ran a pistol match in December with irons like I usually do, idpa match and with irons I definitely didn’t so as good as the one last night with a dot. Faster, more accurate and a strong competitor to some of the older guys who have been shooting this style match since before I was born.

I see basically two dots smudged together, I thought the optic was defective but taking a picture of it shows a perfectly round dot. To me, it’s not clear and crisp like it used to be in my younger days. Still shot faster with tighter groups though.

Back
Top Bottom