• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistol to rifle to pistol. BATFE Ruling 2011-4

No Sir. You are incorrect. It transfers as other. It even says "receivers" next to others.

Scroll down and read the instructions for filling out block 18.

I didn't read the whole thread but a virgin receiver does transfer as other. It doesn't become a pistol or rifle until it is assembled into something. Receivers also don't count as firearms if they are never assembled when paying excise taxes either. As a manufacturer we are required to pay an excise tax if we manufacture 50 firearms in a year. Bare receivers don't count towards that as they are "other".

Ahh, that actually makes sense... not something I'm used to seeing on an ATF form.

I'm unfamiliar with the law, but does this mean you can buy an ar pistol and put a stock on it and it's still legal? Or do you have to have it in either full pistol or rifle configuration?

I'm unfamiliar with the law, but does this mean you can buy an ar pistol and put a stock on it and it's still legal? Or do you have to have it in either full pistol or rifle configuration?
If it has a stock it must have a 16inch barrel.

You can make a pistol a rifle and back to a pistol.

If it starts as a rifle it can't become a pistol.

If it has a stock it must have a 16inch barrel.

You can make a pistol a rifle and back to a pistol.

If it starts as a rifle it can't become a pistol.

That's what I figured, but the wording had me hopeful. I saw a video a while back of this guy in Canada who was out squirrel hunting with a legal (in Canada) 13" factory short barrelled .22 rifle and it looked nice.

Back
Top Bottom