• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistols Cal .40 - Why They Are So Hated?

I shot .40 Cal for years and still have several pistols. I was issued a 40 for 20 years. I'm much older now and realize my eye sight is going and im more sensitive to recoil. I have switched to the 9 mm. Ballistics seem to be close to me. Plus I like the extra bullets per mag. I think its personal preference.

Yep I agree, but there is gonna be people that hate on every caliber. Just like in the rifle caliber people hate on .270 Winchester but I’ve had some good success with this caliber.

Anyone who hates .270 is ghey and has little real hunting experience.

I always liked .40. I don't own one at the moment but will probably own one again, eventually. It's a good caliber. Not my favorite, but still good.

I always liked .40. I don't own one at the moment but will probably own one again, eventually. It's a good caliber. Not my favorite, but still good.
.270 is my hunting rifle caliber - found a really good deal on a vintage Howa and just kept using it - excellent rifle and cartridge for the conditions I hunt within.

I have 3 pistols in 40 - a S&W Performance Center Shorty Forty, a titanium S&W 4040PD and a S&W 4054, one of only 154 made.

Were it not for these particular guns, I might or might not include 40 in my collection - my caliber selection is oftentimes gun driven -

I got into 9x18 Makarov for no other reason than finding a pristine with discreet import marks, German Makarov.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MRH
I'm with you.....you read or see all of the controversy. All calibers have the ups & downs. Plus if you have a G22 with a 9mm conversion barrel....you can shoot both calibers!!! And if you have something like a G32, you can have a .357sig, .40cal, and 9mm!!! It's like having a cake and ice cream at the same time....

I love the G32 and both of my conversion barrels to shoot 40 and 9 in it.
All are great rounds and I also love my 29 that I can also shoot 40 in to keep down cost.
Now I just need a conversion barrel to shoot 45 in my 29.
Mike

.270 is my hunting rifle caliber - found a really good deal on a vintage Howa and just kept using it - excellent rifle and cartridge for the conditions I hunt within.

I have 3 pistols in 40 - a S&W Performance Center Shorty Forty, a titanium S&W 4040PD and a S&W 4054, one of only 154 ever made.

Were it not for these particular guns, I might or might not include 40 in my collection - my caliber selection is oftentimes gun driven -

I got into 9x18 Makarov for no other reason than finding a pristine with discreet import marks, German Makarov.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

31 years hunting with .270. I can't think of hardly any conditions where it will not do well. For whitetail it is second to none, IMO.

I've carried .40's off and on for 25 years. Same thing. It worked very well for many folks for many years. I see no reason why it won't work just as well today. Again, it is not my favorite caliber for several reasons, but it has a lot going for it. As already stated, the internet hoards have caused much of the negativity about .40....Sheep are gonna sheep.

Personally, my dislike of the .40 is because it snaps like a 45 without the downrange thump, and its not a cheap to shoot as a 9mm. Practice makes consistent.

I've just got my first .270 and I'll try it out soon... Mine is a Ruger M77 Mark II Ultra Light .270 Win
And watching this video below, these guys kinda convinced me that .270 is really a great caliber rifle. Super great velocity and great ballistic. Watch this review., you will love it!

Back
Top Bottom