• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Piston driven owners

alevinson91

Default rank <2500 posts
Local Small Business Advocate
187   1
Reaction score
Hello fellow odt-ers, so I recently traded into an LWRC m6a2 operator edition and I love it. However, I’m not very familiar with it. For all of you piston-heads, is there anything in particular that I should know maintenance-wise, any quirks that I should know of, what replacement parts should I keep on hand? (Piston return springs, piston cup, intermediate rods?) Thanks for any info!

D3FB7A42-810E-4DB6-B39B-1659C0B60F98.jpeg
8B2E1455-C6B5-4B8C-84AC-556600224FB9.jpeg

I believe this is a short stroke piston system. If so, I wouldn't do bolt override clearance drills with it.

I'm told that short stroke systems are big trouble if there's a bolt override - when a spent casing goes over the bolt and gets trapped between the top of the bolt and the underside of the upper receiver.

We trained on how to clear them in a class I took, and set them up and cleared them on our own rifles. I've only ever seen it happen 'in the wild' once, but this is the most serious (and time consuming to clear) jam that I've ever seen with a DI AR. Although frightening it can be cleared fairly easily if you know how - in a DI upper.

However, the instructor told us not to do it with a piston AR, as there's enough room in a short stroke piston AR for the entire casing to fit completely over the bolt, and then it is REALLY hard to dislodge.

He said he had a student in a previous class with a piston AR try the drill and the carbine got LOCKED UP. Luckily someone taking the class brought an armorer's wrench. They took off the receiver extension tube, relieved the spring pressure, and "jiggled" the bolt carrier around enough to get the casing out. Now he only lets guys with DI uppers practice the drill.

So if you're in a mood to practice clearance drills I would stay away from that one!

I have had my lwrc m6a2 for 4 years now and I have had no stoppages last time I cleaned it was 4K rounds (mostly steel case) ago or something like that it refuses to stop. From rain to mud it’s like a energizer bunny just keeps on going.

Ha ha for the info so far guys! I’ll be sure to stay away from the clearance drills with it, lol.

Jaywalker, have you replaced or keep on hand any piston replacement parts? I spoke with LWRC today and the (very helpful) associate told me not to worry with the whole replacement kit, and to just buy a few piston return springs to keep in my grip storage and MAYBE a piston cup. I take it you like your LWRC?

I've got a LWRC as well and I went ahead and got a spare piston kit. Rifle has got 5K+ rounds through it and I haven't needed to replace anything in the piston.

I’ve read the return spring on the LWRC can sheer.
An inheritant issue that comes with short stroke piston is peening where the piston meets the BCG as well as carrier tilt so keep an eye out for those things, especially if running it suppressed.

I’ve read the return spring on the LWRC can sheer.
An inheritant issue that comes with short stroke piston is peening where the piston meets the BCG as well as carrier tilt so keep an eye out for those things, especially if running it suppressed.
Thanks! Actually spoke to a gunsmith at lwrc and my bolt carrier has been replaced with the monolithic one piece carrier, and he sent me a few return springs because he said IF somethings going to fail, that’ll be it

Thanks! Actually spoke to a gunsmith at lwrc and my bolt carrier has been replaced with the monolithic one piece carrier, and he sent me a few return springs because he said IF somethings going to fail, that’ll be it
Monolithic upper or bolt carrier?
The monolithic uppers have a better BCG the “one piece”

This is what you should have but watch out for this.

B40EB5BD-7161-44DC-BD3C-5DAA56C7D886.jpeg
1DDE6AFA-0576-4E60-A70D-FE109D525C05.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom