• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Planning a coyote hunt and need some advice and tips

Daniel

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
32   1
Reaction score
As the title says I am organizing a coyote hunt and would like some advice from some veteran yote hunters. I'm sure there are some small things that may be easily overlooked. What kind of supplies are essential what would be helpful etc.

Last edited:
Are you hunting at night or during the day? Shotgun or long gun? Mouth call or electronic call?

I use an AR and electronic call. I use a rabbit in distress when I cant see them and then I switch to a deer mouse call once I can see them. Be still, and when you start calling, BE READY, they can and will come in fast as hell sometimes. Typically they run toward me, then realize something isn't right and either stop and look for a second before they bail that when I shoot. If they just turn and go, try barking at them, I've had that stop them in their tracks, POW, thump..gnight.. If your hunting during the day try one of those electronic 'critters' they move randomly and keep their attention on that and not you. Fairly cheap too. I use a $40 call from FlexTone.

I have alway's had alot better luck hunting Yotes the first hour of dawn or the last hour of dusk. I have been on night hunts with and with out the night vision optics and I have always just had better luck during the early morning hours. I use a Primos electronic caller, usually use pup in distress or rabbit distress. Most of the time it happens real fast, like within the first 1-5 min fast, in fact I usually hunt a set for about 10-15 min and moved to another set up. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom