• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Planted a new food plot today.

YEP, have some fond memories of this type of transportation early years ago as water bridges, even was able when was a kid to ride across a river that was pulled by a double team of mules, they would balk and he haw the whole time while pulling the ferry across the river.The guy that ran the ferry , said aw they just want an apple, or a lump of sugar so the next time we used it we gave each mule two lumps of sugar or carrots they would just laugh(hehehehe) as to say we got paid, we conned them out of some free feed...

Those were simpler times, "PEOPLE USED ALL THEIR FINGERS WHEN THEY WAVED", now most only use one, we guess they are
telling us they are #1, or it was their IQ, or their shoe size...

If you want to see some Jajwa Red clay we have it in North GA...

Attachments

• IMG_0802.PNG
    IMG_0802.PNG
    345 KB · Views: 41
Need your thoughts here guys. I've just moved to my rural land a bit west of Atlanta from the 'burbs this year and as such money is tight and the equipment is not. It's my first full season hunting this land so I don't really know much about how they move around here. Of course I've been scouting all year and watching the cameras but I got a big surprise last year how much the patterns changed after the season started from before. (Of course I also missed the first 2 months of the season too)

Anyway, all I've got to work with is my Dad's '53 Ford 8N, 5' bush hog, and a box blade with scarifiers and his John Deer track loader. I've asked around and so far haven't been able to find a disc or plow I can borrow. I've got a couple of 3/4 acre fields I'd like to put something in for the deer. So...

What do you suggest I can do to prep the fields and what could/should I plant? So far I'm thinking I"ll just pick up a couple of bags of whatever deer mix is in the center isle of my local TSC. But I have no idea how I'll go about tilling or spreading it.

1.5 acres will require a lot more help than I can provide. Check with Turners Feed in Douglasville. They are at the corner of Hwy 78 and Bright Star Rd. They may have some harrows there. Otherwise, you may want to hire somebody to plow for you until you locate some harrows. The weather is perfect for planting now. Good luck.

Ok, so I've got a short term and long term plan.

Short: i found one of those crappy lightweight discs like for garden tractors today in the piles of stuff my Dad has dropped off. I'm going to try mounting it under my box blades and pulling it with the tractor. I have no idea if it'll hold up or do anything but it's useless otherwise so I have nothing to lose.

Long: I need a real tractor! I have 3 choices available.
Door #1 A friend is selling a sub-compact 24hp with a full compliment of attachments for only $9000. I'm concerned it won't be big enough for all my needs but it's such a good deal that I'm having trouble passing it up (if I had the money).

Door #2 is a $27k 47HP package deal with loader and cutter from the local dealer with 0% financing. I just really hate debt, its the reason I don't have spare cash now.

Door #3 is a used 47HP tractor/loader/backhoe for about the same price. The attraction for me there is I'm planning to build here so I'll get lots of use out of the backhoe and the purpose built tractor has MUCH stronger hydraulics than the standard tractor with backhoe attachment.

Numbers 2&3 i can wait on until I get my money sorted out but obviously #1 is time sensitive... I'm kinda stumped here. What do y'all think?

Back
Top Bottom