• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Plate choices?

Boot71

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
145   0
Reaction score
Looking for thoughts, opinions and first hand info on these plates....
I've decided to upgrade from what I currently have, and have narrowed down to these 2 plates. For the record, I know lvl4 plates provide more protection and are cheaper, but a carrier weighing 18lbs before anything else is thrown in pouches.....sounds like a terrible idea for my use/needs.
I am trying to find a balance between weight/protection/cost that I can live with and yes, I know everything is some sort of compromise.

-The cost difference between the 2 in 10x12 size is around $60. Let's say that is negligible and not worth considering.

-Is the additional protection against M855 on the III+ worth being double the weight of the SRT?

-How does one venture an educated guess as to what is a likely threat? M855? M193? 7.62AP?

I'm leaning towards the SRT plates at 2.5lbs each, mostly based on the lightweight factor, but would like to hear some opinions that I may not have considered yet.
What says the ODT brain trust?

I have the 1003 in a slickster. For me the weight savings was worth it. I’m in the suburbs, but was in an active shooter situation last year. Was very happy I paid for the lighter weight as I got to wear them for 8 hours over my pajamas.

I’m less worried about exotic rounds and really don’t plan on being shot if I can help it

Looking for thoughts, opinions and first hand info on these plates....
I've decided to upgrade from what I currently have, and have narrowed down to these 2 plates. For the record, I know lvl4 plates provide more protection and are cheaper, but a carrier weighing 18lbs before anything else is thrown in pouches.....sounds like a terrible idea for my use/needs.
I am trying to find a balance between weight/protection/cost that I can live with and yes, I know everything is some sort of compromise.

-The cost difference between the 2 in 10x12 size is around $60. Let's say that is negligible and not worth considering.

-Is the additional protection against M855 on the III+ worth being double the weight of the SRT?

-How does one venture an educated guess as to what is a likely threat? M855? M193? 7.62AP?

I'm leaning towards the SRT plates at 2.5lbs each, mostly based on the lightweight factor, but would like to hear some opinions that I may not have considered yet.
What says the ODT brain trust?
One plate is more costly than what i have in my whole setup that i got for a screaming deal off the good old ODT. With that said it takes a crane to put it on ☹️

Definitely in for info, and review once you have made the purchase

I have the 1003 in a slickster. For me the weight savings was worth it. I’m in the suburbs, but was in an active shooter situation last year. Was very happy I paid for the lighter weight as I got to wear them for 8 hours over my pajamas.

I’m less worried about exotic rounds and really don’t plan on being shot if I can help it
Is there an exp date on it?

Do you have any real world comparisons to steel plates?

This is in line with my thinking about plates. I'd like to have some protection, but don't want it to hinder my old a$$ from being able to gtfo of a situation asap, and not get shot at to begin with.

I haven’t had personal experience with either plate.

Just in to say m855 isn’t really an exotic round. It’s probably one of the most common rounds in peoples stockpiles.

Steel plates suck. Spalling and deflection are dangerous regardless of what miracle coatings they allegedly applied

Rumor is they “expire” after a decade but I can’t imagine they actually go bad living in my air conditioned vault room. I’ll treat it like a bike helmet. If I’m ever shot or take a bad fall in them I’ll replace.

My comparison is I had 8 pound level 4 plates to save money. Ended up costing over $4,000 in hospital bills and a year of PT when the weight helped me blow out my back. Not a great savings when you do that math.

MAny people are running short barrels with their ARs and some of those speed rounds lose their edge out of them. If I’m gonna get yeeted by some guy running black tip 30-06 or m855 whatever than it was my time anyway.

Being mobile and a little bulletproof made sense to me over being more bulletproof and sucking wind

I haven’t had personal experience with either plate.

Just in to say m855 isn’t really an exotic round. It’s probably one of the most common rounds in peoples stockpiles.

Steel plates suck. Spalling and deflection are dangerous regardless of what miracle coatings they allegedly applied
Bath towel and a **** ton of duct tape

Don't flame me too bad....but the plates I have now are IIIA steel, from AR500.

I originally chose them several years back, based on the fact I had no intention of rifle fire in my direction for the foreseeable future, they don't have an expiration date, can stand rough treatment being thrown in a trunk or truck bed, and were less than 5lb.
Maybe not the best choice.....but it is what it is.
I surely don't want anything heavier, and truthfully, if this was all I had, I'd still likely be protected against most of what is likely.
I read somewhere that LE reports show ~80% of shootings they face are handgun calibers. Who knows how accurate that is.....
However, if I can cut the weight in half and gain some rifle protection, that's what got me thinking about the SRT plates.

Back
Top Bottom