Plated Bullets, not jacketed

Understand that the plated bullets are intended for indoor range use, to cut down on the lead vapors.

I've used a ton of them, but never hot-rodded them. .38/.357, .44 spec in .44 mag, .45 Colt. If max. velocity for a specific load is your goal, then all other things being equal, a lead bullet will be faster than a plated bullet. In practice, it does not make any difference.

I have seen the plating separate from the bullets at the range, not my loads, lol. These were from Freedom Munitions according to the guy that was shooting them. I asked to see a loaded round. Upon inspection, it looked like the bullet had been heavily crimped causing the case to cut into the plating.
I have been using plated bullets in my 9mm and 45acp for many years without a problem but I use a light to medium crimp and a light, bottom of the loading data, load.
Just make sure not to put a heavy crimp on them and you should be fine.

Every played bullet that I have bought had the maximum suggested velocity on the box. I have had good luck with plated bullets but recently have been able to buy RMR and Precision Delta bullets cheap enough that there is so little difference betweeen plated and jacketed that I just buy jacketed.

Every played bullet that I have bought had the maximum suggested velocity on the box. I have had good luck with plated bullets but recently have been able to buy RMR and Precision Delta bullets cheap enough that there is so little difference betweeen plated and jacketed that I just buy jacketed.

Just put in my first order with RMR for 230gr fmj.

Back
Top Bottom