• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Please help me with an AR Scope.

Earl Swagger

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
1   0
Reaction score
I have a flat top Windham Weaponry with Magpul flip up sights. I am new to the AR world and still learning so I would be grateful for any advice. I am looking for a nice scope $500 max that is not big and powerful like a 3-9 or 4-12. Trijicon size just not Trijicon money. I would prefer to stay away from things that take batteries but would consider them if they can be used without batteries. Thoughts on the Burris AR-332? I would like to know if there is a quick detach mount that is worth the money. Pretty new to this site but it seems there is a lot of knowledgeable people on here. Thanks

Last edited:
Really depends on what you want the scope to do! I have a ncstar compact 3-9x40 on the carry handle of my RRA AR, and a bushnell 3200 3-9x50 on my sons flat top.

Vortex StrikeFire scope with a 3x magnifier both on QD mounts. You should be able to pick them up for around $400 give or take. I have a set of the scope and magnifier with fixed mounts all brand new in the box I would sell for $300. I'd think you could pick up a pair of QD mounts less than $100. Let me know if you're interested.

Do yourself a favor and look at the Leupold Mark AR series. I bought one and I love ringing the 10 inch steel at 425 and dialing back down to 100 consistantly. I am sure there are better scopes but you would be hard pressed to find one MADE IN USA that out performs Leupold for the money. They have one of the best no questions asked warranties in the biz too. Good luck with your choice.

I suggest you go to PrimaryArms.com and check out some of their house brand lower price scopes. They have everything from Aimpoint clone red dots to 1 - 4x scopes all around $100. You can get one of their scopes for cheap, determine what you like, sell it, and upgrade. Some will require batteries, but they are usually the CR 2032 type batteries, and they last for a while.

Regarding the QD mounts, there are several out there, but you will need to spend $100 - $200 (depending on type) to get quality from either Larue, Bobro, or ADM. I would avoid any cheap QD mounts (unless you get one as part of a scope deal) until you determine the scope setup you like.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/10/foghorn/gear-review-primary-arms-4-14x44-mil-dot-ffp-scope/

I don't have one but I'm thinking about getting one. If you don't want detachable rings, you can get a raised rail to put on it with standard rings. It would be a cheaper option, I don't know if it's better.
IMG_0186.JPG

http://swfa.com/BSA-6-18x40-Sweet-223-Riflescope-Kit-P60193.aspx

This is by far THE best deal out there on a .223 scope and base combo. Can't be beat. I know the scope is higher mag than what you're looking for, but 6X is reasonable for all but very close shots. I have BSA's mounted on several rifles, and they don't compare to a Trijicon or Leupold VX-3, but they're reasonable quality and a good value for the money.

If you want to go with separate base and scope:

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Strength-...8&qid=1357399082&sr=1-6&keywords=utg+integral

UTG makes solid bases at a really good price. Their quality has come up a long way since they first hit the market. All of their mounts come with spare screws and allen wrenches, but I've never had a screw break on theirs during installation.

http://swfa.com/Hawke-3-12x50-Sidewinder-30mm-Riflescope-P41099.aspx

Hawke has very good glass. I can't speak for long term durability, only having one with low round count, but the glass is great, and the turrets feel solid, and clicks are repeatable (up 12 clicks for longer range, then down 12 clicks for the nearer target and the zero comes back to what it was set to originally)

Good luck, and enjoy.

Last edited:
I would buy a 30mm Leupold 3x9 VSXR with their matching Mark 4 30mm base (this is what i have mounted on my Colt 6920). If you shop wisely you will find both for $500.00. The Leupold 1x4 hog or turky plex versions are cheaper (lighter in weight also) and really all that is needed for your short barrel carbine. Target knobs are not needed.

A standard Leupold 3 x 9 will be just as good. You can buy these at Wallmart, but you might pay more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom