• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Please recommend a dog for waterfowl!

Chocolate labs are my favorite! Last one got ran over by school bus and know they will never be another like him ! If you shot he was expecting something to fall for him to fetch!

Easy answer is a good quality field bred Lab. Get the dog from pure hunting bloodlines and you're going to be very pleased. There's a reason Labs are so famous for water retrieving.

Uncle Si uses a poodle

Actually.....

Standard Poodles were originally bred as water retrievers and they were good at it. Some still are. The stupid haircuts come from their hunting history, too.

They were bred to have very thick coats to help protect them from the cold water, but the coats got so thick they were slowing the dogs down. Hunters started cutting away the coat from areas that were not vital to keep warm while leaving it where it was needed. That was the first "Poodle Cut". They may look foo foo, but I've worked with some that were seriously hard boys. I've also seen a couple that did impressive personal protection work.

Lab or Chessie. Canadas are BIG birds, and it you ever get into Swans, you will want a big, long legged Lab.

You can get by with a Boykin Spaniel for ducks, but not geese.

Pretty much this. As a proud owner of Boykins, they run circles around most Labs I’ve been around. But you said geese, and while some Boykins will retrieve geese, they really are undersized for the job. A Lab is like hitting the easy button here. If you just want something different, a Chessie or Deutsch Drahthaar would work.

I got into some Tundra Swan a couple of times in NC. Had an average size lab, and he had a hell of a time with the Swans. Got them in, but he really had to work.

Canada's were no problem.

Back
Top Bottom