• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Please Vote - Considering Major Changes for Classifeds

Would charging non-supporters $1 a month to post in the classifieds hurt the site?

• Yes, charging $1 a month would hurt the site and is a bad idea.

Votes: 713 54.5%
  • No, $1 is cheap enough to not lose people over it.

Votes: 596 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're looking at it backwards. Do something like giving non supporters limited ability to list things like a listing a month. Incentivize becoming a supporter. You offer no real benefits to being a supporter.
That seems tacky to me, to charge for each little thing that should come for free. I feel like posting a classified could be considered a slight "luxury" and the whole forum is free.

Hopefully it would help folks see the light and become supporters.

If I understood one above post that to become a supporter, you just have to pay $12 a year, then I have no problem with becoming a supporter to post ads. $10 a year is a bargain whether you post ads or not as their is sufficient expert gun info available on this site for the asking to justify even a higher membership fee!

If you can’t spend $1 a month to post, you probably don’t have anything worth posting anyway. I feel if you can’t spend $30 on a membership for a year, then you shouldn’t get to post anything at all honestly, but I guess I’m just bigger into making sure good fun pages stay afloat than others are.

Maybe you could let supporters repost their ads every 24 hours to keep their ads towards the top of the forums to be seen by more people.

I know that I normally get the most offers on my first day of listing a item, then more again when I repost it.

When did you drop the "Steve," Okuma? :laugh:

If you want to winnow the wheat, you have to rustle the bush. People complain that the quality of trader is declining, put up or shut up and see if the quality improves. I'm all for it. Things change when you have some skin in the game, until that point you just run off at the mouth and affect little, if any, meaningful change.

Ten bucks a year is nothing, I would gladly pay that to have as free a hand as I do now in posting in the classifieds.

However, I have done business with Members who have been on for several years, and post something "For Sale (or trade) so infrequently that 10 bucks would be prohibitive.

I would suggest -

$10 gets me 365 days of postings, in the same manner of posting as we now have.

$ 7 gets me 180 days

$ 3 gets me 60 days.

One Off posts - for those that almost never post anything for sale (or trade), charge a buck, per posting.

my .02

When did you drop the "Steve," Okuma? :laugh:

If you want to winnow the wheat, you have to rustle the bush. People complain that the quality of trader is declining, put up or shut up and see if the quality improves. I'm all for it. Things change when you have some skin in the game, until that point you just run off at the mouth and affect little, if any, meaningful change.
Maybe 6 months ago, just got tired of explaining to people that Steve wasn't actually my name.

Your regs are going to hang around. We swap and sell as a hobby. But you'll run off the rubes and the "next stop is the pawn shop" sellers that keep us regs on the prowl (return traffic). Without some $300 Glocks to chum the water every now and again it's just the same 200 dudes swapping range toys back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom