• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Please Vote - Considering Major Changes for Classifeds

Would charging non-supporters $1 a month to post in the classifieds hurt the site?

• Yes, charging $1 a month would hurt the site and is a bad idea.

Votes: 713 54.5%
  • No, $1 is cheap enough to not lose people over it.

Votes: 596 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question? What's wrong with more ads? They're a great source of revenue, some members may ***** about them but they'll get over it. The problem with a subscription fee is a ton of people are just gonna be really turned off by being required to tie a bank account or electronic payment to the site. It's not about the dollar, tons of gun guys are just funny about electronic funds.

I'm not saying I care, or the couple hundred of us more active members care, but of the thousands of casual traders you would lose a good chunk of them if you required any form of electronic payment. Just run ads, it's what all the successful social media sites do.

Unfortunately gun sites are blacklisted from all the major ad networks so I don’t even really have the option to run more good ads. The only options available to me would probably come with more malware and pop ups than we could handle, or they are really intrusive like auto playing videos and page takeovers.

It would kill it. One thing (out of very many) i like about odt is the consistency. There are tons of new firearm posts on the trader on a daily basis especially compared to other states traders. Requiring paid listings/memberships would effectively kill the backbone of the trader which is your average guy who maybe posts 2 guns a year and doesnt really use odt other than for watching the trader. The trader is the center of the site. The new people come here for the trader and stay for the consistency. Id suggest creating more incentives for supporters. Probably blasphemy for most of you, but i for one wouldnt mind a few more ads just to keep the site going. Just my 2 cents

Unfortunately gun sites are blacklisted from all the major ad networks so I don’t even really have the option to run more good ads. The only options available to me would probably come with more malware and pop ups than we could handle, or they are really intrusive like auto playing videos and page takeovers.
Ah, I see.

Wasn't there an option to pay and be ad free at one time? I believe I paid for that instead of opting for the supporter badge. I felt like I was supporting the site and getting less ads which was a win for me even though I didn't get the icon. I also buy new shirts everytime they come out.

Point being I spend money here but I don't have an icon and I'm still considered a nonsupporter?

May have been asked/answered already but could you do a paid auction forum to raise $? Second, have you ever actively marketed to gun/pawn shops to become advertisers or supporters?

I too think the paid idea is not a good one. I personally would not mind but a lot of folks do.

Wasn't there an option to pay and be ad free at one time? I believe I paid for that instead of opting for the supporter badge. I felt like I was supporting the site and getting less ads which was a win for me even though I didn't get the icon. I also buy new shirts everytime they come out.

Point being I spend money here but I don't have an icon and I'm still considered a nonsupporter?

upload_2019-4-12_22-32-50.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom