• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Please Vote - Considering Major Changes for Classifeds

Would charging non-supporters $1 a month to post in the classifieds hurt the site?

• Yes, charging $1 a month would hurt the site and is a bad idea.

Votes: 713 54.5%
  • No, $1 is cheap enough to not lose people over it.

Votes: 596 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Charge a $1 for every time someone misuses the word sale, sell , cell...sailing etc.
You would retire as a millionaire in a week

There, their, they're Howie !!! lol

An oldie...
cell, sell, sail, sale edited.jpg
:)

Okuma dollar.jpg
:)

I’m a member on BladeForums and it’s $25/year or so for a membership that allows you to sell things on the site. I don’t have any problems with that.

On the other hand, how many of the people buying or selling on here are not ‘regulars’ ? I’d hate to run them off.

Another way to do it might be that $1 gets you 10 ad postings. If that would limit the number of people that repost the same tired old overpriced crap I’d be all for it...

I'm all for having to be a supporter to post an ad. If you want to use the benefits of the board to reach a ton of people then you need to be supporting the board as a paid supporter. You don't pay percentages like you do to sell on Ebay and the cost of being a supporter is very minimal for all the benefits the board offers (including Brackish Waters).

start a go fund me for those that cannot afford the $1 a month fee, if they are as smart as a gun owner should be, then they would realize that becoming a supporter for $15, duh, The $12 for the buck a month for ads, is only $3 less so it'd be a better deal to be a friggin supporter folks.

Might be a little late to the party but here is my .02. The place is great. Is it as good as it used to be? I think we can all agree that it’s not. You mentioned that outside ads are down and that you’re trying to figure out ways to keep the site up and running. Generally speaking advertisers want traffic so the ads can be seen. I might be out of touch here with this comment but why don’t you look at why traffic is down. I don’t post near as much as I used to. Various reasons come into play but one of the main reasons is because I can mostly find what I’m looking for for less outside the Odt now. Why is that? Dealers have to try and sell what they can when they can. The public marketplace (outside Odt) allows competitive price wars. The Odt doesn’t really. We see Glocks posted for 500-600 all day. They sit and clog up the pages. Heck you can even buy a Glock cheaper at Adventure Outdoors than here lol. If even a member mentions that to a non-supporter or supporter for that matter they get flagged. I’ve had my run ins with mods over the years but not much the last couple of years. After our exchange the last time I decided to up my supporter status to 5 years out of good faith that I’d see changes that were discussed. Some of those changes happened and some didn’t. No big deal. Your mods ran quite a few people off after that summer day a couple of years ago. I know 3-4 that became a little disgusted and just stopped posting altogether. Post counts drive revenue for you some, probably not as much as ads but advertisers want traffic for their money. Charging a dollar a month might not be a bad idea but there logistical challenges to that for those that do much online pay stuff. Some of those very same people buy stuff from here instead of online stores like Psa etc., because of their unwillingness to go plastic or other payment methods. It’s been said already but 1 a month compared to 15 a year for supporter status.
I hope this helps. I’ll be around as long as the site allows me to be here but I probably won’t be posting as much as previously done.
Best of luck OS. Thanks again for giving us a place to make friends around a hobby that we all enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom