Please Vote - Considering Major Changes for Classifeds

Would charging non-supporters $1 a month to post in the classifieds hurt the site?

• Yes, charging $1 a month would hurt the site and is a bad idea.

Votes: 713 54.5%
  • No, $1 is cheap enough to not lose people over it.

Votes: 596 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I signed up as well.

If nothing else, this thread has gotten enough people to pony up that we can keep the lights on another year or two.

mission_accomplish_1112950c.jpg

I think the Carfax model for ads should be used. One ad is $1. A month of ads is $5 and a year's worth is $50 but fee for supporter fee of $15. If you are going to piss people off at least give them a good reason.

Having read most, not all, of the posts, it appears to me that the vast majority of the posts have been in support of the change. I am not for it, but that is just my opinion. The majority of the members who are supporters, want everyone to be a supporter of the site, for one reason or another. It appears to me to be largely about the influx of "FaceListers" and the perceived problems they bring to the site. And yes, there are some posts that want to bash the MODS, some for good reason, some...well....just because....they can.

Instead of forcing non-supporters to pay to place an ad, why not just go ahead, make the jump and make this a pay site. The difference between being a supporter and a person who pays to use the ads is, to quote many in support of the change, minimal. It would possibly weed out the "FaceListers", the folks who join just to be in the "giveaway", and would possibly make the site a more productive and lucrative site. That is my take away from the number of posts in this thread from the supporters. If the owner of this site wanted to he could, as a one time deal for current non-supporters, drop the price to be a supporter to $1 less than the current price to be a supporter and just a bit higher than paying to place an ad. A ONE TIME deal. Again, as many have said, the amount would be minimal so why not just pay to be a supporter instead of just paying to sell. Now that would get the non-supporters like me, who like the site, use the site, but do not want to be titled as a supporter, off my backside and decide if I want to stay and pay, or leave.
To me, that would make the majority of the supporters pleased because everyone has to pay, and according to their logic, weed out the undesirables. I am not being tongue in cheek, or trying to be a smart ass. I know, as a non-supporter, it would certainly force me to make a decision. Most likely, I would stay, as I feel most non-supporters would. I have been on this site since October, 2010. I am not one of the originals, was not a member of GON, I found the site looking for a S&W revolver.

If you are going to have to pay to sell anyway, why not just go ahead and make it a pay site. New members could have 30 days to view and read the posts, view the classifieds and not have to pay. They could post, but they could not sell or buy anything during those first 30 days, or until they become a supporter. It is my opinion, once they are here, they will like the site and stay. I could be wrong on that opinion, I don't have the numbers to prove it one way or the other. It is just my opinion.

So, those of you who support the site, if you are so inclined, lobby the owner of this site to just make it a pay site. Because, it you really think about it, you pay to be a supporter in order to sell, or you pay to just be able to sell. Why not just admit what it is, and make the jump to a pay site. My opinion.

ODT provides a convenient and secure way to enjoy my hobby. The profile / feedback feature makes it easier to avoid shady traders. The 'want to buy' feature is a neat way to beat the bushes for specific items. I've learned alot and made some great friends that i may not have met otherwise. It's value is much greater than the annual supporter donation.

Okuma Okuma my opinion is that it will be very reasonable to do this and that you probably should have done it before now. After all, it's a business / service, not a charity

Now, let's all stop yacking online and go shooting....

image.jpeg

ODT provides a convenient and secure way to enjoy my hobby. The profile / feedback feature makes it easier to avoid shady traders. The 'want to buy' feature is a neat way to beat the bushes for specific items. I've learned alot and made some great friends that i may not have met otherwise. It's value is much greater than the annual supporter donation.

Okuma Okuma my opinion is that it will be very reasonable to do this and that you probably should have done it before now. After all, it's a business / service, not a charity

Now, let's all stop yacking online and go shooting....

View attachment 2086679
Well said, AC!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom