Please Vote - Considering Major Changes for Classifeds

Would charging non-supporters $1 a month to post in the classifieds hurt the site?

• Yes, charging $1 a month would hurt the site and is a bad idea.

Votes: 713 54.5%
  • No, $1 is cheap enough to not lose people over it.

Votes: 596 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a supporter this change really wouldn’t affect me. Also, whether a member is a supporter or not does not impact my willingness to deal with them. If I understand this proposed change correctly, it will not affect anyone’s ability to browse all the forums including the classifieds for free. Non supporters would only be asked to pay this minimal fee if they wanted to list stuff for sale. If you don’t list often, pay the $1.00 for just the month you list in. If you are just looking to buy it is still free.
I guess I just don’t understand why some are so against this. As the old but very true cliche goes “there’s no such thing as a free lunch”.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure what all of these freeloaders are thinking anyhow! As there is an obvious cost factor involved in running and maintaining a website!

I believe that a charge of some amount is not unreasonable, but only you know what is reasonable or not.

Some of these folks seem to live on this website, and have more transactions than many have posts, yet they continue to be freeloaders!

Rolling the dice is only way to know, if they will stay or go!

In an effort to get away from outside advertising (and to stay afloat :D ) I'm having to consider some very major changes to how the site raises money. In the past I've relied very heavily on outside ad networks to supply our ads to us, but in the last year the landscape has changed and a lot of gun forums are having a very rough go of it, including us.

One idea I am seriously considering is charging $1 a month to post ads in the classifieds for non-supporters and leave it free for supporters.

So for $1 a month you could post 5 listings per category per day (Just like it is now). Would also offer it for $10 a year if you didn't want to become a supporter and just wanted the classifieds, which would make it an even cheaper $0.83 per month.

Do you think this would kill the site? My opinion has always been that charging money would kill the site, but I feel like $1 a month for non-supporters is cheap enough that people wouldn't leave over it. If this change was enacted and we didn't lose any traffic I would be able to shut off outside ads. (which would be amazing and make the site run faster, we would never have malware or popups again and could remove all outside ad tracking)

I'd love to hear everyone's opinions, especially non-supporters. Any posts that "supporter shame" anyone will be removed to keep this on topic.

Thanks!

I really want to drive home the point about quality over quantity... Ignoring overpriced ads is easy. But does it solve the problem? Make the site better, by find a way to... politely, keep prices in check, keep the junk ads out, etc...

If you charge them to place the ad, I don't think you can tell people how much they can list an item for. I believe we have to accept that items will be priced by the seller and sometime we won't agree with the amounts they decide on.

How would you police it anyway? 1) Have them certify that they searched ODT for similar items and then have them agree that their item is priced inline with the others? 2) Have ODT software that rates their item and price as a "Good Deal", "Fair Deal" or "Bad Deal"? 3) Have a Classified MOD check items and if necessary cut prices by $50 - $150 if he feels it's overpriced? 4) Have links to price guides online and require them to search there before the ad goes live?? 5) My suggestion of thumbs up/down for an item & price could just be ignored by the seller, if they chose to do so.

I just don't see how you keep "prices in check".

Quite frankly, I'm not sure what all of these freeloaders are thinking anyhow! As there is an obvious cost factor involved in running and maintaining a website!

I believe that a charge of some amount is not unreasonable, but only you know what is reasonable or not.

Some if these folks seem to live on this website, and have more transactions than many have posts, yet they continue to be freeloaders!

Rolling the dice is only way to know, if they will stay or go!

While I may disagree with the "freeloader" comment. I do understand what you are saying. So, lobby the owner to make this a pay site. Either I pay to post an ad or I pay to be a supporter, I still have to pay. Personally, I am against the change, but if we are going to change, lobby the owner to make the change that will benefit the site long term.

If you charge them to place the ad, I don't think you can tell people how much they can list an item for. I believe we have to accept that items will be priced by the seller and sometime we won't agree with the amounts they decide on.

How would you police it anyway? 1) Have them certify that they searched ODT for similar items and then have them agree that their item is priced inline with the others? 2) Have ODT software that rates their item and price as a "Good Deal", "Fair Deal" or "Bad Deal"? 3) Have a Classified MOD check items and if necessary cut prices by $50 - $150 if he feels it's overpriced? 4) Have links to price guides online and require them to search there before the ad goes live?? 5) My suggestion of thumbs up/down for an item & price could just be ignored by the seller, if they chose to do so.

I just don't see how you keep "prices in check".
best way to police overpriced stuff is look at, laugh your ass off and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom