• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Plumbing question for perimeter drains.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
I’m doing some perimeter drains on three sides of a small cabin with water issues.
I’ve dug out the trenches on all three sides.
I’m planning on using schedule 40 pipe with holes at bottom, correct angle for drainage, double 45’s for clean out ease, geotextile fabric, block sealant and burrito wrap for those who know what that means.

My question is this:

I’m trying to locate the geotextile fabric somewhere in Atlanta but all I need is 50’ of fabric for this small cabin.
Actually I could get away with 40’ but would like it to be 5 or 6’ wide.
I’m having a hard time finding distributors or people who carry the good fabric in small quantities.
I also need to seal the block and need to apply a tar or rubberized coating, mastic or something.....not sure what to use.
The block and footer need sealed but not sure what to use.

I dont feel like going full bore waterproof sheeting or panel type wrap....just would like to brush something on there after I wire brush and clean the walls really well.

I could get everything from Amazon easily but would prefer a local distributor if possible.

Any plumbers care to chime in and let me know if I’m doing it all wrong.
I’m also planning on using clean drainage gravel.

I dont want the cheap home depot cheese cloth crap fabric.
Home depot doesent carry any good sealant but they can order it...just don’t feel like dealing with them cause they never call when the stuff comes in although they say they will call.

Why not use black slit pipe for French drains? It is already wrapped in fabric. Bury it in the washed #57 gravel.
My BIL is a landscaping engineer and what's what he did when he helped me with water issues at my house.

We use perforated white PVC for these types of drains. 57 or 34 aggregate. Put your fabric on the outside of the aggregate, not the outside of the pipe. Holes at the bottom. Don’t use this type of drain for handling surface water or it will silt in. Use surface drains and grading for that.
We use Henry’s, can’t remember which number, but only to stick the EPDM rubber for waterproofing the outside of the wall. If needed.

Why not use black slit pipe for French drains? It is already wrapped in fabric. Bury it in the washed #57 gravel.
My BIL is a landscaping engineer and what's what he did when he helped me with water issues at my house.

I’ve heard not to use that pipe wrap sock.
The material is not as good as the geotextile for silt issues.

We use perforated white PVC for these types of drains. 57 or 34 aggregate. Put your fabric on the outside of the aggregate, not the outside of the pipe. Holes at the bottom. Don’t use this type of drain for handling surface water or it will silt in. Use surface drains and grading for that.
We use Henry’s, can’t remember which number, but only to stick the EPDM rubber for waterproofing the outside of the wall. If needed.

Cool.
Yeah I watched a million videos and the fabric goes down first according to the guys who claim they know what they’re doing.
wrap it all up like a burrito.

Cool.
Yeah I watched a million videos and the fabric goes down first according to the guys who claim they know what they’re doing.
wrap it all up like a burrito.

The problem with many of those videos,

These types of drains, which are pretty much a French drain, don’t work as well or the same in Georgia. Our soil doesn’t percolate like it does around the country. But if used like a barrier, like a curtain French drain, against subsurface water, then they are effective.

The problem with many of those videos,

These types of drains, which are pretty much a French drain, don’t work as well or the same in Georgia. Our soil doesn’t percolate like it does around the country. But if used like a barrier, like a curtain French drain, against subsurface water, then they are effective.
Agreed.
Pretty much all red clay.
Gonna have to backfillnwirh a lot of gravel and grade the slope away from cabin, install gutters with properly placed downspouts.
One my rear back fill the soil goes pretty high on the block so when I slope it away from the cabin I’m gonna dig and pour a drain channel to keep the washout from running towards the building.
I’ll wait till the soil settles a while.
Most of my back fill will be gravel with a few inches of non clay soil.

I have the woven, high flow geo textile you need. If you can’t get the good stuff, I can give it to you at my cost.

Agreed.
Pretty much all red clay.
Gonna have to backfillnwirh a lot of gravel and grade the slope away from cabin, install gutters with properly placed downspouts.
One my rear back fill the soil goes pretty high on the block so when I slope it away from the cabin I’m gonna dig and pour a drain channel to keep the washout from running towards the building.
I’ll wait till the soil settles a while.
Most of my back fill will be gravel with a few inches of non clay soil.

Forgot to mention a few important details.

Yes Gutters are important. I would take them away from the house with PVC piping. SDR 35 with downspout adapters. Then you don’t need the Drain channel which will be a problem with sticks and debris clogging it.

Obviously your pressure relief system/curtain French drain needs to be piped away from the house as well. I would make that drain line portion of the pipe solid and not perforated to generally keep roots out.

Do not tie the two systems together. The downspouts and the pressure relief/French drain. Or you run the risk of backflooding your foundation drain system. They should be two totally independent systems. One is active and one is passive.

And last important detail, make Sure the footer drain/pressure relief French drain you are installing, is below your basement or crawl space slab/dirt footer level. Otherwise you will be inviting water closer which will leak in easy.

Feel free to PM me for any more info. I can help you with materials if needed. We stock this stuff in Marietta/Kennesaw.

Back
Top Bottom