Polish work

Not really to my chagrin. If the firearms are not left and the customer is present during the repair, modification, etc. No license is required. If the gun stays and the owner leaves you are required have an FFL (If you are engaged in the business of repairing, modifying, etc firearms) As explained to me by the ATF, Engaged in the business means accepting payment for your work per an ATF ruling. Per The Code of Federal Regulations Engaged in the Business means "“person who devotes time, attention, and labor to engaging in such activity as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit …” Huge disconnect between the two.

While I believe that the CFR is more accurate and would allow people to do work part time or on a hobby basis as long as it was kept small enough without an FFL, the question is, Do you want to deal with the ATF when they show up at your door, seize all the firearms (Yours and the customers), arrest you, etc. With a good lawyer you'll be exonerated--several months down the road.

I'm talking about diagnosing the problem with the gun, ordering parts, cleaning, and installing parts. Maybe refinishing the furniture on one. Only one gun at a time, not having multiples.

Back
Top Bottom