Polish work

Its also illegal to give away vegetables if you have a garden, or milk if you own a cow , or take your neighbor food if they are sick if you don't have a license from the health dept.

All that is true, and I disagree with all of them, including requiring an FFL for Ken to do the work to make a couple bucks. As a Gunsmith, I think that the ATF requiring me to record transactions like coming in and out like a sale in a bound book is crazy, also requiring a Manufacturing License (07) for gunsmiths that drill and tap a receiver for a scope is crazy. I also think the FFL license requirements are B.S., You have to prove you are doing it as a business and also have to have approved zoning before the ATF will sign off, that is tough to do if you are working out of your house.

If I were to replace damaged parts on someones gun or refinish it, would I need an FFL? I was thinking of doing some on the side.
What if I buy a gun rebuild, modify, and refinish; with the intentions to resale?

If I were to replace damaged parts on someones gun or refinish it, would I need an FFL? I was thinking of doing some on the side.
Only if you were receiving payment for it.
What if I buy a gun rebuild, modify, and refinish; with the intentions to resale?
If your intention is for resale, technically, yes you would need an FFL.

Is there a website I can go to to learn more about getting an FFL. I'm not wanting to be a dealer just do repairs or install accessories. I have always enjoyed restoring cars and trucks, but guns don't require as much room or money.

Hi folks. Old guy new here.
I believe you will find that receiving money for gun repairs has nothing to do with having or not having an FFL. If you do not have a FFL, the "customer" must stay with his firearm. They cannot leave it with you. They cannot mail it to you. Having said that, there are bunches who operate without a license/FFL and never get touched. Much to Brian618;s chagrin. Be careful with big brither. Had an FFL back in the early 80s. The Feds were not too bad back then.
The money is a "business" thing involving license (where applicable), zoning, and other matters concerning city, county, state or the Feds.

18 USC 921:

§ 921. Definitions

(a) As used in this chapter—

The term “dealer” means

(A) any person engaged in the business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail,

(B) any person engaged in the business of repairing firearms or of making or fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms, or

(C) any person who is a pawnbroker. The term “licensed dealer” means any dealer who is licensed under the provisions of this chapter.

(21) The term “engaged in the business” means—

(D) as applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section 921 (a)(11)(B), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to engaging in such activity as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional repairs of firearms, or who occasionally fits special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms;

Back
Top Bottom