• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pool chems back in WalMart....I mean water disinfection chems...

Use of unscented household bleach is effective but liquid bleach breaks down and loses it's effectiveness at a rate of 20% per year. Calcium Hypochlorite(HTH) in granular form(Pool SHock) is much more concentrated so takes up less space and is more stable so it lasts much longer.

Another plus for using calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water for emergency use is that a little goes a very long way. A 1-pound pag of calcium hypochlorite in granular form typically costs only a few $US dollars and can be obtained in any swimming pool supply section of your hardware store or online. This amount will treat up to 10,000 gallons of drinking water, which is enough for a family of four for some six or seven years at a gallon per day per person!

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=1341

Also known as High Test Hypochlorite....

Usually bulk water treatment plants first dilute to HTH to make a 1%
working solution at the rate of 14g HTH per liter of water. While
testing to determine exact chlorine needs are preferable, the solution
can be used at the dose rate of 8 drops/gallon, or for
larger quantities, 1 part of 1% solution to 10,000 parts clear water.
Either of these doses will result in 1 PPM chlorine and may need to be
increased if the water wasn't already filtered by other means.

the WHO standard is a residual chlorine
level of 0.2 to 0.5 mg/l after a 30 min. contact time. The may
require as much as 5 mg/l of chlorine to be added to the raw water.

Read more: http://stason.org/TULARC/sports/sur...reatment-Methods-of-chlori.html#ixzz2MLLJnlOs

Science Geek update.... The active ingredient in the stuff at Wal-Mart is no longer Calcium Hypo. I am not sure if this changes anything but might be worth looking into before you need it. The HTH stuff just burns REALLY well so they changed to keep it inside the store. Got to keep the Fire Marshal happy you know.

Great info and updates, thanks all!

So need to include a measuring scoop calibrated to 14g to make a liter of working solution.

Those dilutions seem kind of low to me (for questionable water). Must research this one further.

Here is my logic:
Using Polar Pure or bleach, the solution is 3.5%
We use 5 drops of solution per liter of water, as a back-up to filtering with an MSR filter.
-20 drops per gallon at 3.5% strength is a lot more than 8 drops at 1.0% strength.
-The HTH might make a more concentrated mixture than regular bleach?

HTH granules have a 77% yield. Makes for a MUCH stronger solution if not mixed carefully. I've been reading some on the Blue Wave stuff. The main ingredient in it is not sodium hypochlorite but the Trichloro-s-triazinetrione(copy and pasted...I ain't typing that...LOL) seems to create "cyanuric acid" in the disinfection process. Some reports suggest that this can be toxic at higher levels but the EPA literature on it doesn't seem to support this..blah , blah, blah...

Best to just stick to HTH. SO maybe a pool supply store or siet would be better.

Cyanuric acid is classified as "essentially nontoxic".[1] The 50% oral median lethal dose (LD50) is 7700 mg/kg in rats.[11]

However, when cyanuric acid is administered together with melamine (which by itself is another low-toxicity substance), they may form extremely insoluble crystals,[12] leading to formation of kidney stones and potentially causing kidney failure and death -- as evidenced in dogs and cats during the 2007 pet food contamination and in children during the 2008 Chinese milk scandal cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanuric_acid

Back
Top Bottom