• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Possession of a handgun at 19?

ajv602

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
59   0
Reaction score
I've got a 1911 that I keep in my home but I'd like to know if I can keep it in my truck. Also are there any specifics that I would need to follow like having the magazine out if the gun or anything else?

Here's a link to the actual law, courtesy of GeorgiaPacking.org.
The statue you need to read is 16-11-126.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=126

Notice that most of this law consists of EXCEPTIONS and EXEMPTIONS to the general rule that it's illegal to carry a weapon without a license (see subsection "h").

Because the crime (h) is written so broadly, the legislature had to write a bunch of exceptions to limit the application of this law.

Read subsection (a). You're over 18, so assuming you aren't a criminal or nut or illegal alien or other such kind of prohibited person, you are legal to possess handgun or long gun.
You may possess a handgun, a big knife, or a long gun ON YOUR PROPERTY, or INSIDE YOUR HOME (if you're outside of your home but on your own property, see the first exception), IN YOUR MOTOR VEHICLE, or IN YOUR PLACE OF BUSINESS (and caselaw indicates that you could be outside working the fields and grounds of your place of employment and still get that exception, too). If you're in your home, on your property, at your place of business, or in your vehicle, you don't need a license.

NOTE HOWEVER that the vehicle has to be yours. Not somebody else's that you happen to be borrowing or riding in.

If you were at least 21 and legally eligible to get a GWL (weapons carry license), then the law would authorize you to carry your pistol in ANY PRIVATE MOTOR VEHICLE, no matter who owned it, and even if you didn't actually have a GWL (as long as you're qualified to get one if you wanted to).

But at your age, you are ineligible for a GWL, so your vehicle carry status is limited to your own vehicle.

We cover this topic on pages 61 to 65 of our GEORGIA WEAPONS LAWS BOOKLET.

In Georgia your car is an extension of your home. If legal to possess 18 and above not convicted of Domestic abuse or a felon then typically good to go.

The link above has more specifics and you need to know the laws.

Back
Top Bottom