• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Post up your reviews - Favorite BBQ restaurant?

What type of BBQ is best?

• Chicken

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Pulled/chopped pork

Votes: 58 41.1%
  • Pork ribs

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Beef ribs

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • BBQ beef

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • BBQ Tacos

• I’m a vegan save the animals

• BBQ brisket

Votes: 51 36.2%

• Total voters
I have a student at UGA. I like BBQ. I have a 13 year old son. Needless to say he thought anyplace called butt hut was funny and the rest of us thought it worth a try. I agree it wasn’t impressive.
The smokehouse was better but I don’t remember the details of our visit a couple of years ago.
Yeah Butt Hutt and Toppers could trade names and no one would be the wiser

Finally, I got to try Pulaski Heights BBQ in Athens. ( https://pulaskiheightsbbq.com/ )

It’s in a weird neighborhood, but I mean, It’s Athens. There are a lot of hipster/townie/weird neighborhoods. Most of them have some character and are at least interesting. This is one of the interesting ones.

Pulaski Heights is located at the end cap of a commercial building complex. If you pull in right of the road, park in the first few spaces. There are outdoor tables right outside the front door. It’s also located next door to railroad track, but sadly they don’t do complimentary train shots as there is no booze license. You may be tempted to go to Shiraz fine wine shop just a few doors down, but please let me talk you out of that. (She be cray-cray). DM me for recommendations of wine shops in town.

Again, I was looking for brisket or ribs this venture.

Food: ordered the brisket sammich, Mac & cheese, and collards. Got samples of 4 sauces. There was a little seating inside, a bar top, and lots of outside seating. It was cold though, and they don’t have outside heaters. I ordered at the bar, went to pee, and by the time I returned my to-go order was all ready. FAST SERVICE!

Sauces: so, if the meat is good it should not need sauce. But still the sauces should be decent. These were, mostly. They had 4: Mustard, sort of a whole-grain-mustard honey BBQ sauce. It was really good. Just the right balance of everything. Vinegar, not bad, but thin and runny. Sweet, too grainy, and very very cumin-heavy. Like almost grainy with so much cumin. Hot, - man, it was hot. They add some sort of Asian spice to it, but I couldn’t place it. Sambal maybe? But it’s hot and grainy. The Mustard was my favorite, followed by the ‘sweet.’

Collards, very good. Not over cooked. A hint of vinegar and seasoned. Leave plenty of room for you to add salt.
Mac - good, cheesy. Maybe a tad overcooked that day. Still, not the worst I’ve had this week.
Brisket Sammich - pickles! And brioche bread! If you’ve read any of these reviews you know I’m a sucker for good pickles and at least trying on the bread. It’s probably not homemade but there are several quality bakeries to at least upgrade from Sunbeam White Buns. Meat - it’s good. Chopped, not sliced, but sill very good. Made the 25 minute trip home and it was still hot. Lots of flavor, good crunch outside meat, generous portion. I’ll go back again soon.
20231229_133655.jpeg20231229_132556.jpeg20231229_132453.jpeg20231229_132458.jpeg20231229_132616.jpeg20231229_132740.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom