Powder on my table

I got the Lee adjustable bar for the pro auto disk and never even used the disks because of the reports about leaking. I still get a few granules but I could probably count them if I wanted. I've been very pleased with the adjustable bar. I use it on a Lee Turret press with 231 and HP38.

I got the Lee adjustable bar for the pro auto disk and never even used the disks because of the reports about leaking. I still get a few granules but I could probably count them if I wanted. I've been very pleased with the adjustable bar. I use it on a Lee Turret press with 231 and HP38.

That is good to know!! I was thinking of getting one of those.

^^^^this. Also works well with bullseye and universal.

Edit to add... I think I remember the instructions saying something about not adjusting with powder in the hopper. I've found increasing the charge is no problem. Just dump the load you increased and cycle around a couple of times. If you are decreasing the load, I run the case up, so as to empty the charge bar and then make an adjustment. Might need some needle nose pliers or something to turn the knob, as there won't be much to grab hold of when it is up.

Last edited:

It must depend upon the powder being used as my luck with the adjustable bar and flake type powders hasn't been as good as with the disks.
This has been especially true for smaller charges ...

BTW: I use the following procedure in "breaking-in" a new powder measure:
Thoroughly clean all portions of the metal portions of the "powder-through" mechanism with brake-cleaner (to remove any trace of oil / grease),
then dry it thoroughly. I then take all plastic parts and rub them down with a dryer sheet.
Afterwards, all parts that touch powder are rubbed down with powdered graphite (including the disks on the PRO).
After a quick blow-out with compressed air, I load the hopper to at least 3/4th full and verify the first number of loads initially (to allow settling differences)
then periodically ... keeping the measure at least 1/2 full. Some will find a (easily made) hopper resident baffle to be useful in assuring consistent drops.

Smallest charge I've loaded so far is 4.4 grains so it's been accurate and consistent for me. I did read about smaller charges being a problem, however. I also read about a mod someone made that fixed that problem with really small charges. It was something simple like sticking some folded cardstock somewhere on the bar (cant recall exactly). Anyhow, the directions in the Lee pro powder hopper do indicate that a hopper full of powder should be run through it before using it so as to coat all parts with graphite.

It must depend upon the powder being used as my luck with the adjustable bar and flake type powders hasn't been as good as with the disks.
This has been especially true for smaller charges ...

BTW: I use the following procedure in "breaking-in" a new powder measure:
Thoroughly clean all portions of the metal portions of the "powder-through" mechanism with brake-cleaner (to remove any trace of oil / grease),
then dry it thoroughly. I then take all plastic parts and rub them down with a dryer sheet.
Afterwards, all parts that touch powder are rubbed down with powdered graphite (including the disks on the PRO).
After a quick blow-out with compressed air, I load the hopper to at least 3/4th full and verify the first number of loads initially (to allow settling differences)
then periodically ... keeping the measure at least 1/2 full. Some will find a (easily made) hopper resident baffle to be useful in assuring consistent drops.

Liking the graphite idea.

Smallest charge I've loaded so far is 4.4 grains so it's been accurate and consistent for me. I did read about smaller charges being a problem, however. I also read about a mod someone made that fixed that problem with really small charges. It was something simple like sticking some folded cardstock somewhere on the bar (cant recall exactly). Anyhow, the directions in the Lee pro powder hopper do indicate that a hopper full of powder should be run through it before using it so as to coat all parts with graphite.

Never had any problems with charges until it got below 3.1 grains. Wouldn't throw anything consistently below that.

Back
Top Bottom