• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Powder Scale and Dispenser Opinion

jburton3

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
50   0
Reaction score
I am looking at picking up a powder scale/dispenser. The three main options that I come across are RCBS, Lyman and Hornady. The RCBS looks to be the better of the three and a good bit more $$. Online, reviews are all over the map on each brand listed. If anyone is trying to get rid on one, I am also open to buy used.

Thanks.

I have had several different brands, I kind of like the RCBS 5-0-5 myself, but really any reloading scale is fine and accurate.
as long as the reloader don't make one of them stupid HUMAN mistakes.

I use a Dillon digital DE terminator. I bought it off ebay about 10 years ago. It's accurate, fast and can be calibrated. I had a 505 that I sold (should have kept it). The buyer found it was off by about 1 grain. They can be calibrated, but are slower than a digital.

I use a RCBS 505 and a couple of check weights to be sure it's measuring true.

Are you talking about one of those combination scales/powder measures that is supposed to weigh every charge? I really think those are a gimmick and not worth the money. I've measured hundreds of powder throws out of my old RCBS Uniflow powder measure and out of the Dillon powder measure- they're almost never off by more than 0.1 grains on rifle charges. Somewhat smaller, but harder to measure, on pistol charges.

Just to be sure of what that did to my .308 and .22-250 loads, I hand trickled loads that were right on the money and some that were 0.1 over... couldn't tell a bit of difference in the 100 yard groups. I quit worrying about a difference that small.

I'm using the Hornady Lock N Load Auto Charge Powder Dispenser. So far I like it very well. I was having issues with my old Lyman with Titegroup powder, It didn't meter very well. I,ve got a couple extras NIB for $200 if you decide to go that route.

I use a RCBS 505 and a couple of check weights to be sure it's measuring true.

Are you talking about one of those combination scales/powder measures that is supposed to weigh every charge? I really think those are a gimmick and not worth the money. I've measured hundreds of powder throws out of my old RCBS Uniflow powder measure and out of the Dillon powder measure- they're almost never off by more than 0.1 grains on rifle charges. Somewhat smaller, but harder to measure, on pistol charges.

Just to be sure of what that did to my .308 and .22-250 loads, I hand trickled loads that were right on the money and some that were 0.1 over... couldn't tell a bit of difference in the 100 yard groups. I quit worrying about a difference that small.

Yes, I was looking at something like the RCBS chargemaster or the hornady lock n load. I was looking to speed things up a bit.

Amazon had the lock n load for $150, it still might be. I have it and I'm fairly happy so far, but I'm new and don't know much. It's ready with the next loss before I'm done seeing the bullet on the previous one. I've a rcbs powder measure but I haven't set it up yet.

You want consitent accurate weights within .01 grains?
Get one of these

IMG_0466.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom