• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Powder Storsge Question

mtw45

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
9   0
Reaction score
I recently had an older family member question why I don't store my powders in sealed containers (ammo can, tupperware ect.) with desiccant added. He said even factory sealed (unopened) bottles should be. What do you guys think... do you do anything like this? If so what ? Thanks for input/views !

Never put powder in anything other than a powder measure, brass, and the original container.

In more than 25 years of loading, I ain't had any issues with moisture.

Never put powder in anything other than a powder measure, brass, and the original container.

In more than 25 years of loading, I ain't had any issues with moisture.

I have not had moisture issues either, what he meant was to store original containers inside large ammo cans, I don't & just checking to see if anyone else did

I have not had moisture issues either, what he meant was to store original containers inside large ammo cans, I don't & just checking to see if anyone else did

No need to do that. I just maintain the same temp in my reloading room. All my powder is on a shelf out in the open.

Why did this person question you about this??

Truthfully, I think he just saw all my components in my reloading room and had a "Sy Robertson" moment. But I'm always willing to listen to an oldtimer's advice just dont always follow it. He's my uncle & it makes him feel good to give advice, so I "listen".

A metal container or cabinet would help prevent it from igniting if your house was on fire.

I know of someone whose house burned down and the powder in his Dillon did not burn only because the top of the powder measure collapsed inward, sealing it off. I think the plastic bottle that most powder comes in would melt, burn, and then allow the powder inside to burn.

Back
Top Bottom