• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Powder throwers

a__l__a__n

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
33   0
Reaction score
Lately I've been reloading 38 special (with Bullseye) and 357 magnum (AA#9). A lot more of the 38 specials.

I hand scoop and trickle every charge onto my Ohaus 10-10 scale (same as RCBS 10-10) and verify charge weights every 10 to 20 rounds on my Ohaus 5-0-5 scale (same as RCBS 5-0-5). As you can imagine, that is really slow, so I'm beginning to consider trying some sort of automatic powder thrower sitting on top of my Lee powder-through expander die.

I'm a little leery of those devices because they measure out charges by volume rather than weight. I especially wonder about the consequences of using one with a low volume powder like Bullseye. Can I really count on those devices to give me 3.5 grains and not 3.6 or 3.4? Tenth of a grain variations are more significant at charges in the BE range. I would think that having two or three tenths variation in my rounds would affect the consistency of the ammo at the firing range. But maybe I'm worrying too much about small variations.

Anyway I do want to find a way to speed up the reloading process. What would be a recommended economical device to speed up my loads without introducing too much error into the charges?

I can't give you any specific advice on the Lee products but my Dillon has an automatic powder dispenser. I get variations of about .2 grain when using W231. The last time I chronographed my ammo, I had about a 20fps variation as an overall average. That's more consistent than quite a few of the factory loadings. You are not going to get a noticable difference in pressure with a .1 or .2 grain variation.

If you want to load to match grade specifications, then you're pretty much stuck with hand weighing and measuring. If you willing to deal with some minor variations, then a good quality auto dispenser will probably serve your purposes.

I hope this helps.

Wheeler

My son has the Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure on his Lee Classic Cast turret press. It throws a .1 -.3 grain variance with titegroup. Mostly it's .1 -.2 grain variance but occasional .3 grain flier. Same performance with rifle powders. Some a little more variance than others.

I own 5 of the Pro Auto Disk powder measures.

I don't load with Bullseye, but any spherical type powders like the #9 will meter like water.
I use a lot of Universal Clays, Acc #5, #7, HP38, Win 296, Longshot, and Little Gun. I've ran
quite a bit of Trail Boss, and was really surprised at how well that stuff metered through em'.

They are the best handgun measures I've used. I have the adjustable charge bar attachment
on a couple of them for fine tuning. I also have a double disk kit for the .454 Casull loads.

All of mine have been very reliable. I'll weigh a charge every so often if I'm using odd shaped
stuff like the Trail Boss, and I visually inspect my load tray under a good light to make sure
they all look equally charged before seating my bullets.

I wouldn't take a $1K for mine, if I knew I couldn't get another one. CD

I own 5 of the Pro Auto Disk powder measures.

I don't load with Bullseye, but any spherical type powders like the #9 will meter like water.
I use a lot of Universal Clays, Acc #5, #7, HP38, Win 296, Longshot, and Little Gun. I've ran
quite a bit of Trail Boss, and was really surprised at how well that stuff metered through em'.

They are the best handgun measures I've used. I have the adjustable charge bar attachment
on a couple of them for fine tuning. I also have a double disk kit for the .454 Casull loads.

All of mine have been very reliable. I'll weigh a charge every so often if I'm using odd shaped
stuff like the Trail Boss, and I visually inspect my load tray under a good light to make sure
they all look equally charged before seating my bullets.

I wouldn't take a $1K for mine, if I knew I couldn't get another one. CD

Do you use the "double disk kit" to get the in-between charge amounts? Or do you just use the charge amounts that one disk supports?

The "adjustable charge bar" is what you want for that.

It takes the place of a disk, and it works great.

The dd kit is for larger amounts than I single cavity can handle.
Always use the larger cavity in the lower position.

i have two of the lyman 55 powder measures that I've been really happy with. I have an RCBS powder measure as well but haven't really ever used it. between the lyman for my RCBS rock crusher and my dillon 550 i have all of my bases covered.

I have the Lee Perfect Powder Measure and also the Auto disk on a Pro-1000 and on a turret. They both work great. You have to expect a small variation unless you hand dip or spend the bucks and get a Chargemaster. If you have a single stage I would recommend the Perfect Powder measure unless you already have the Lee powder through expander die. With that die the Autodisk will save you a step. The perfect powder measure will do Bullseye within .1- .2. I didn't like the way it dropped Varget. It tended to chop that powder. The ball and flake powders do well in it.

I think it's six one way 1/2 dozen the other volume verse weight

I was reason on ms smiths reloading web sight about variations of just upward angle versus downward angle how the powders sits in the case on perfectly weighed loads of 110 frets per second difference. That being the case in a situation where your powder will not fill the case you can get just as much variation.

My opinion on powder weight versus volume is the juice worth the squeeze. Match riffle, expensive scope, entrance fee to a competion will get the extra attention bs tin cans in the back yard gets the fastest reload possible

Back
Top Bottom