• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Powerlifters, weightlifters or just interested

Vman

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
12   0
Reaction score
Anyone do any serious/heavy weight training or interested in the same? I've competed in powerlifting moreso in the past but still try to hit a competition every 2 or 3 years just to stay in the game! :)

Glad to know there are other lifters on the forum. I started serious lifting in 86 and started to compete in 91. It's a great sport and still train 4 to 5 days a week. I haven't competed since 08 when I tore both biceps on a deadlift. I'm considering competing again just because I enjoy the competition. Where do you guys train?

i try to train at golds but watching all the hot honeys that come in tends to be a big distraction.
i dont know what i did but i think i puled an oblique on the right last saturday.
screwed up and didnt get set right trying to pull 425
damn **** hurts to cough.

In my youth I did work out hard training for powerlifting. Even back in high school, I was one of the strongest guys in the school...and definitely the strongest one that wasn't on the football team. There was a time I could deadlift over 600 lbs. Never did it in competition. Now I am just too old and fat to try it!

For the most part, I have always trained by nyself and in my garage. I have belonged to 4 or 5 different gyms, but they all seem to have a problem with heavy deadlifting. I was even told at the local Golds Gym not to deadlift unless I could gently place the weights on the floor. It's hard to gently deadlift heavy weights. I miss the days of the hardcore gyms.

Worked out at several gyms myself over the years cause I moved around alot. Most don't "appreciate" heavy lifters, but I will say the last Golds I worked out at never said anything. Now I'm a homeowner again so I have my basement gym back. Nice to blast whatever music I want, lift what I want and how I want. :) But it can be difficult to get the energy up for heavy lifting alone, especially heavy squats and DL's. Been trying to do heavy weight for 8-10 reps lately rather than pure power. Gotta give the body a break occasionally! lol

i workout but im a weekend warrior trying to get back into it...can still bench 225 for a few reps...but thats deff. nothing to brag about, but i enjoy working out when i do it...nice thread..no deadlifts for me to hard on the back...i wld be curious to know what some of you odt guys can bench press

Last edited:
Competition bench without a bench shirt I think was around 402. Right now though I'm doing reps to try to increase my endurance and tendon strength so I'm working 3 sets of 8-10 with 315. DL's are definitely hard on the back but a great overall strength and conditioning exercise! I've had back problems since high school but have learned to work around them for the most part. Still deadlift occasionally but on a regular basis is definitely too hard and counterproductive. Squatting has suffered the most. Used to work out regularly in the high 400's to 500, now it's in bench weight/rep range. :(

Competition bench without a bench shirt I think was around 402. Right now though I'm doing reps to try to increase my endurance and tendon strength so I'm working 3 sets of 8-10 with 315. DL's are definitely hard on the back but a great overall strength and conditioning exercise! I've had back problems since high school but have learned to work around them for the most part. Still deadlift occasionally but on a regular basis is definitely too hard and counterproductive. Squatting has suffered the most. Used to work out regularly in the high 400's to 500, now it's in bench weight/rep range. :(
wow man you are a powerhouse for sure.

Back
Top Bottom