Practical Legality

It's like your GWL... do you carry it when you carry?? Or a Drivers License when you drive... I mean... it's probably a good idea to have all documentation saying it's legal.

Cops don't always know the laws.

It's like your GWL... do you carry it when you carry?? Or a Drivers License when you drive... I mean... it's probably a good idea to have all documentation saying it's legal.

Cops don't always know the laws.
Good point...I was hoping this would engender more conversation. :(

If you drive a car you to show proof of license and insurance if asked by an LEO, if you play with special guns, that's all an LEO needs to require you to prove your allowed to have it.

If you drive a car you to show proof of license and insurance if asked by an LEO, if you play with special guns, that's all an LEO needs to require you to prove your allowed to have it.
See this is exactly what I think as well....but I was fully expecting someone to roll in and say that was a violation of the 4th ammendment...kind of like they do when a cop asks for GFL if you're OC'ing on Main Street.

Oh well....I was hoping for some lively conversation....looks like the trolls don't read the Law & Order forum. :lol:

I was under the impression that you were required by law to have your stamp or a copy with you any time you are transporting or using your class 3 item. Dont have time to look up the law right now, but I remember seeing this in the regs at one point. You are also required to show that paperwork when asked AFAIK.

Edit: it is "suggested" by the ATF, but the ATF only requires that you show it when asked by ATF agents. State level requirements vary, not sure how that goes in GA

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#owner-evidence

Last edited:
This is kind of an interesting question with a sort of scary answer.

As for how you defend an "AFG" or a stock saddle on a buffer tube the real answer is YOU CANT!! :D
I know this isn't the answer that you wanted but here is the reality. Someone on the internet got a letter from the ATF that said that it is legal for HIM to have an AFG on HIS AR pistol and that's the end of it. Lots and lots of people took that to mean that it's ok for them to have a VFG on their AR or AK pistol but this just isn't the case. These letters that the ATF sends out apply ONLY to the person who received them and can only be used as evidence in court by the person that received them. For you the only positive defense, if someone tried to make an example of you, would be citing case law and none currently exists .... even worse the ATF is one of those organizations who's guidelines are are taken as law but their guidelines aren't all clearly laid out and easy to get at. They are more like a shape shifting amorphous blob than a clearly defined set of criteria and what they ok for some people they don't ok for others even in the same configuration ..... think of them as your weird, half retarded, uncle who's head isn't really on straight and likes to hit things with a big stick that gets his attention.

The bottom line is that in any dealing that you have with them you have no real recourse whatsoever and no positive protection unless you have a letter from them addressed to you saying that your personal configuration is ok .... Otherwise I'm not willing to experience prison rape and lose my right to own guns for the little bit of tacticool you get out of a stock saddle or an AFG

As far as building a rifle from a pistol ... yes this is ok but not the other way around ... putting a 16" barrel on your pistol doesn't change it to a rifle necessarily but once you put that buttstock on it there is no going back and it's a rifle forever as far as the ATF is concerned.

With all of the "you can't have an AFG on an ar pistol" comments, and the "can you build a rifle with a pistol lower?" uncertainty that seems to exist....I have a question.

Just last week I was at the range and a guy had two SBR AR15's. I'm not a talkative man so I didn't ask him a thing about them. I assumed they were legal and honestly, didn't want to know of they weren't. But it got me thinking.

From a practical perspective, assuming not every LEO is going to be conversant with every single gun law, if I have an SBR, a suppressor, or an AK or AR pistol, how, short of asking, does anyone know that I am legal or otherwise? And for that matter, how do I defend an AFG or know stock saddle on an AR buffer tube to the uniformed?

I disagree about the ATF letter only applying to the one person who sent and inquired about it. I dont think this is accurate. The letter addresses a configuration, not a person or a particular weapon. If your weapon is in an identical configuration to the person who sent the letter, the decision in the letter applies to your configuration as well.

This is just how I see it. Thankfully I dont like canr tips on my buffer, or AFGs, or the stock saddle thing although i tried it, so I guess I am in the clear :)

Back
Top Bottom