• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Precision Rifle fun match

Yes, thank you REDX REDX ! Had a blast, pun intended.

I personally learned ALOT, especially how much suck I have to improve upon for these type matches. If/when Thomas does another one, GO, well worth it. Everyone there was super nice and helpful!!! Don't be hesitant, it can only make you a better shooter. I sucked, and still suck, but feel I suck much less now for sure! :lol:

A few things from my short experience with this that I want to work on or change for next time.

• Bring sand bags in case no one has them for you to borrow, a variety of them too
  • Have great dope for your rifle and know it. Yes, Strelok gets you pretty stinking close, but be familiar with where you need to be for your rifle. Could be a BIG time saver, especially if your shooting a non "fun" type match and stick to the 90 second stage timer. I would also practice hold offs as well, especially on a moving platform that way you reduced movement as much as possible. I could see knowing accurate hold offs cutting down on shot times and probably increase your hit success. Maybe RedX could comment on this thoughts some too.
  • Bi-pods....yeah. Have one with easy leg adjustments, and possibly a QD feature as sometimes its helpful for a stage, and then that same stage...it gets in the way.
  • Knee pads. I am still young, but if you are not at a range that has stations in the grass like we did today, your knees would get murdered. They will keep your pants clean anyways.
  • Shooting mat. Holy crap, bring a stinking shooting mat!...lol Seems obvious now, but getting ready, didn't even think about it. Thankfully other had them to share with the group.
  • Scopes, don't skimp here. I have a cheap ass Crossfire II with capped turrets. If you can bump your budget for good/better glass with target style turrets, zero-stops and stadia lines, it would be a HUGE help. I had to just remember the number of rotations in my head so I could get back to zero for the other stages at shorter distances. That, and the small turrets were not as easy to manipulate.
  • Watch someone who is good at PRS shooting so you can get the idea to better approaches to the different stations/shooting positions. I went first on all the stages, so I didn't have any examples to go by, just had to wing it and hoped it was good enough. I could see where just going to watch a match with experienced shooters would be very helpful.
  • Practice cycling the bolt so that you don't come off your sight picture as much or any at all. I found myself cycling the bolt a bit too quickly for my experience and it moved my rifle around a good bit and I would have to re-settle on the target after each cycle. Much room for improvement here for me.
  • Higher power scopes are not as helpful. I have a 6-24, and the 24x was WAAAAAY too much. I found 6-10 was around what was most useful with 6-8 being used most, saving the higher side for the longer shots out to 600+ , but 6-8 was still easy to use, even at 600.

Like wise. Hopefully next time I will do a little better. At least I wasn't last and I was the only one with a non magazine fed rifle.

I got that 22 zeroed in at 100yards. Probably my new favorite toy.
Yeah man, you did pretty well considering you had to hand feed rounds half of alot of those stages.

My score was 27/72. Not fantastic, but really didn't expect to have anything near 50% my first time. If you are ever around the Cartersville area and want to go shoot, let me know. Maybe we can align our schedules and work on some some shooting techniques or what not

Back
Top Bottom